Thursday, May 29, 2008

we don't need it anymore

Ok well, life continues to be interesting . . . which, after all, isn't that the point? Before I got married I'd always feared marriage because I thought it would be so boring, like life would be over once you had to settle down and have kids and own things like a lawn mower and a crockpot and a dehumidifier. . . and one time before I got married my mom said to me, "if you marry Jim you're life won't be easy, but it won't be boring". And alas, I haven't been bored yet! So I know I married right. And the good news is, we're selling the dehumidifier! And the lawn mower! And nearly all of our earthly possessions! And we're packing up our kids and we're moving! Into a dorm room! of sorts . . . it's a two bedroom dorm room, with an extra closet and a sliding glass door and two square feet of backyard. And honestly? I can't wait! It will be a lesson in simplicity, for sure. And a lot of creativity for two toddlers. And I can't even imagine what I'm going to do with a FULL house of STUFF. . . but I am finding my stuff weighing me down more and more, our three bedroom house and huge yard and closets feel like they own us. I'm tired of clutter, tired of excess, tired of all the precious time things consume. My brother wrote a song, and you can listen to it here . . . called "I saw the Light," and it's probably one of the best sermons I've ever heard though that wasn't his intention . . . "so I'm taking all my things and I'm giving them away I don't need them anymore." And that's what we're doing.

2 comments:

amanda said...

When we packed up all of our stuff for camp for the second time in two years, I said to Tom, "We have too much stuff!" How refreshing to be here at camp and only have what we need: clothes, some books, our Bibles, some painting supplies, and various bathroom items. It's nice. Of course when we go back i will be eager to break out my Game Cube and Dvd Player, and the beloved crockpot that i seriously don't use enough to warrant the space it takes up...

So, I think it's awesome that in your not-so-boring married life you find joy in the interestingness of giving up earthly possessions. I wonder if i should sell the crockpot, or the wok, or the extra decorative pillows my husband doesn't understand why i love so much that we don't really need. the artist in me seems to make me a pack rat sometimes and i really want to carry the spirit of camp into our time back in ohio and get rid of some of our non-essentials.

Praise God for our adventurous lives! Marriage is far from boring, and isn't it awesome?

Elizabeth said...

Once again, I find myself identifying. Minimalistic has become the name of the game - though the sentimental side of me finds I can't let go of quite everything. Even still, it is so refreshing to let go and to realize that it isn't "stuff" that makes you happy or makes life worth living. I'm looking forward to seeing where life's adventures take you...