Monday, August 25, 2008

I turned 31 today.

For so long it seemed this little dancer was waiting . . . waiting for the music to start. Waiting for the dance to begin. Just waiting. Little Fourteen Year Old Dancer. At Fourteen, there was only waiting. Dreaming and waiting. Eighteen, breathless waiting. Twenty, wishing and waiting. Twenties of waiting.

I know now, the music all around her she was always dancing.
It is that still place in every woman every fourteen year old dancer.
It is the wonder of it.


Late Fragment


And did you get what

you wanted from this life, even so?

I did.

And what did you want?

To call myself beloved, to feel myself

beloved on the earth.



-Raymond Carver

4 comments:

Bridget De said...

Happy birthday, Jess!

Heather of the EO said...

Beautiful post.
Happy Birthday!

charrette said...

Lovely.

Happy birthday!

Ruth said...

Happy birthday!