Saturday, August 16, 2008

More good stuff from Ossie

I have made some rules when it comes to blogging that I will not publish a post when I haven't slept, when someone is crying, or when there is no milk bread or chocolate in the house. That seems to be never. Which explains the lack of posting this week. Is it only my kids, or does every ten month old shout profanities ALL NIGHT LONG for WEEKS ON END when they are teething? Until finally I must either: OD the baby and myself on childrens tylenol, get out all the toys and have an all-night teething party, or wait until baby loses her voice from screaming and she finally gives up and goes to sleep. Most nights, it's all three. (In all seriousness, THANK-YOU JESUS that big sister somehow developed an ability to sleep through it, which is no less of a miracle than the fact that she now sleeps at all! It is ONLY by Your GRACE that we moved and the girls began sharing a room at the exact week in Sami's development when she began going to sleep easy and sleeping all night! God You are GOOD.)

So I do not trust myself to post this morning as I am not safe doing anything involving complete sentences. But I found this treasure from Chambers this morning and I have to share:


Despise not the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of
Him. Heb 12.5

It is very easy to quench the Spirit; we do it by despising the chastening of the Lord, by fainting when we are rebuked of Him. If we have only a shallow experience of sanctification, we mistake the shadow for the reality, and when the Spirit of God begins to check, we say- oh, that must be the devil.

Never quench the Spirit, and do not despise Him when He says to you- “Don’t be blind on this point any more; you are not where you thought you were. Up to the present I have not been able to reveal this to you, but I reveal it now.” When the Lord chastens you like that, let Him have His way. Let Him relate you rightly to
God.

“Nor faint when thou art rebuked of Him.” We get into sulks with God and say- “Oh, well, I can’t help it; I did pray and things did not turn out right, and I am going to give it all up.” Think what would happen if we talked like this in any other domain of life!

Am I prepared to let God grip me by His power and do a work in me that is worthy of Himself? Sanctification is not my idea of what I want God to do for me; sanctification is God’s idea of what He wants to do for me, and He has to get me into the attitude of mind and spirit where at any cost I will let Him sanctify me wholly.

God I will not despise this chastening. I will not give up. God help me, I will not give up. Oh God what wicked ugly things still are alive and well in me. What bile, what bitter water comes out of me when I am chastened. When I reach the end of my self, the end of my own spirituality, I am destitute, and naked, and wretched, and a liar. God the cock has crowed, and my true self is revealed. I have forsaken you, and fled. I have denied You, denied your power in me, allowed the life of Your Son to be crucified. Again. I have failed You. Trust. Your mercies are new. My pardon is granted I am forgiven help me Oh God I want to step out of this filthy flesh and into Your new life make me new make me holy. I will not despise this chastening God help me I will not faint.


1 comment:

Becky said...

beautiful prayer! and i forgot this when i was on facebook...but are you guys planning to go to florida anytime this fall?? i had this random brainwave...matt and i might fly to sarasota for his cousin's wedding and i was hoping beyong all hope that maybe...what if???...you guys were planning a trip there the same weekend??? i know it is mostly too good to be true but thought i would check just in case?? =) and now, this will only make sense after you read my very long facebook msg..but hubs is watching some for rodeo on tv...do you think he will turn into a redneck??? please, God, noooo!! =) haha