Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Blog Action Day: a mother's poor

Of course He knew the great risk in of Creation
the way that sin would grow
in tangled weeds among us
within us
the Great Hurt it would cause us
the way we would in turn hurt each other
The Great Unfairness
as the earth would tilt to prosper some but
The poor you will always have with you
stretching on looking on always with us.



Yes with us
among us
within us.

So perhaps
in His Great Good heart I wonder
if I may dare to wonder
at the Great Wise Heart of God
whether
His great risky plan was to give us
the poor
a keeper protector a nurturer forgiver a healer and so
He created a Mother

Forgive me if I dream here
I can't help suggesting
in the Great Goodness of our God's mothering heart
perhaps
His hope
for the poor
among us
was it by planting in mothers
His own Great Compassion Great Insisting of the Greatness of every God-image child?
To my shame
was His trust
in my animal-mother's courage
so great to believe
I would fight for all children?

Becoming a mother makes you the mother of all children. From now on each wounded, abandoned, frightened child is yours. You live in the suffering mothers of every race and creed and weep with them. You long to comfort all who are desolate. -Charlotte Gray

2 comments:

Heather of the EO said...

I'm speechless. That was just really good stuff.

charrette said...

I'm speechless on this one too.
Although it does remind me of the last phrase of a hymn I love...

Truth is reason,
Truth eternal
tells me I've
a Mother there.

I love contemplating the idea of some kind of Mother up in Heaven as well as those struggling here on earth.

A very sobering thought that "each wounded, abandoned, frightened child" is...somehow mine? I do long to comfort them all....