Wednesday, October 1, 2008

miracles miracles everywhere

I try to keep in mind as the seasons change that everything is still the first time for Annie.  Today is the coolest day we've had, and when I took her outside the breeze was cold on her cheeks and I saw her eyes light up . . . imagine living in a world still holding such surprises!  One day there is golden sunshine and the next a cold blue breeze . . . the tree outside your window suddenly puts on shocking red pajamas, and then he shakes himself and is naked!  Bright little bowls of color burst out of the ground all around, until one day flowers are replaced by giant orange glowing balls . . . yesterday you played in warm green grass, today the sky is dropping water on your cheeks.

There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing were a miracle.  The other is as though everything were a miracle.  -Albert Einstein

7 comments:

Cort said...

Jess

This was such a sweet post. I just love this time of year. I loved how you reveiled how precious newness is to a child. Don't we wish we could get into those minds of theres and capture it with them. I love your passion for life!! I am so challenged each time I read what you write. I guess I am captured like a child. It makes me want to sit down with a cup of coffee and read a really wonderful book or just dig into Psalms or Proverbs and indulge into who God is.

Cort

Becky said...

your writing is so beautiful! a true artist! luv ya =)

Betty said...

I love the innocence and genuine surprise when they experience their firsts. What a sweet post.
Thanks for your compliments. I love the physical act of writing but this is much more time efficient. I love to "use my words"(Susan Sarandon, Stepmom) that is a great line! I'm not artistic in my writing but I hope someday my boys glean that from me.

charrette said...

Such a beautiful post! I love your writing! All prompted by seeing the world through your daughter's fresh eyes.

Fall is my favorite time of year. I took my class painting outdoors this week, and have been reveling in the sheer beauty of it all.

One of my Jewish friends told me they have a prayer of gratitude for all the "firsts" -- the first strawberry of the season, the first leaves that change color, the first snowfall, etc. Isn't that a lovely thought?

Heather of the EO said...

Another lovely post! I think about this with Asher too. He's just looking around with such amazement all.the.time. I love it.

Even if I'm currently losing my mind :)

Baby Tunnel Exodus said...

Well said! I laughed out loud at the tree in red pajamas. Blessings, Whitney

JCK said...

This was lovely.