Monday, December 1, 2008

Rest

I happened to be out at about 8:00 on Wednesday, the night before Thanksgiving, and drove past our local Wal-Mart.  (Thankfully, I was not out to fight the madness at Wal-Mart, but rather to meander through my favorite Anti-Wal-Mart across the street, Big Lots!  I live in a small town people.  We don't have many options.  I seriously do love Big Lots . . . it is the best place for cereal, usually name brands are two bucks a (dented, banged-up) box, and you just never know what you're going to find there, which is part of the fun . . . ). 

So I drove past Wal-Mart and the parking lot is just totally packed, cars everywhere, and it is COLD, and late, and Thanksgiving is the next day, and I felt this overwhelming sadness for that place and the people there, loading up their carts, dragging their kids along and fighting through all those long glaring aisles.  I imagined how many moms like me were there, at the end of a long day, in a frenzy to buy all those last-minute ingredients for a meal that they don't know how to prepare but must somehow pull off.   I thought of the kids who haven't seen their parents all day and when they do they will be stressed-out, and tired, and won't have time to tell their kids what Thanksgiving means.  

I could rant and rave about all the things I hate about Wal-Mart, but Wednesday night I just felt like weeping for the country that produced Wal-Mart, for our consumerist society that requires it, and for the people shopping, who are trying so hard but only growing more frazzled, and tired, and unhappy, and bored. 
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden light.  Matt.11.28,29
Friday we learned about this.
God help us.

1 comment:

Heather of the EO said...

I heard about this stampede thing and just couldn't stop thinking about it. In the same way you are...
ugh.

Really? Are we THAT consumed? I guess so. It's really sad.