Monday, January 5, 2009

I'm going to stop studying the Bible this year

 and start trying to live it.

No more Read through The Bible in a Year programs
That I'll start
and fail
I don't need more guilt
Or spiritual smugness

I don't have time
God knows I don't

But I do have time for a verse or two or maybe just a phrase
that I can memorize
and write
and chew on
and digest       slowly       throughout the day
and pray over
and consider how I can put into practice

This year,
I'm going to savour it
bite by spiritual bite
notice the flavor
the texture
the aroma
until it is in me
nourishes
and changes me
my flesh
my sick and weak self

Rather than consuming great quantities of words
This year, I'm asking the Word to consume me


3 comments:

Heather of the EO said...

WOW. WOW. WOW. LOVE this. I don't have words. This is just what I needed.

charrette said...

GREAT goal! So beautifully articulated. I always love what I find here.

Betty said...

That is so practical and BEAUTIFUL. I love this and will try to follow that lead.