Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Thawing Out

I'm in Florida!  

Not quite lay on the beach all day Florida.  I'm still wearing the same hoodie that I wear every single day in Ohio.  But I'm not wearing forty coats over it and racing my kids from the car to the house before the White Witch turns us all into ice.  It took me two days after we got here to stop shivering.

The girls and I are staying with my parents, doing pretty much the same kid chasing and no-sleep routine we do at home, but with Nana and Papa and Abundant! Sunshine!, it's sooooo much more fun.  I'm pretty sure we could get used to this . . . we being me and the girls, not so sure my parents would chime in on that one!  And poor Jim is home working in the Arctic.

My version of vacation includes three things:  Starbucks, Target, and CNN.  (No, I don't live in a third world country.  Just a very small town).  And I'm hoping for a full day of thrifting!

And I am oh-so thrilled that my little CNN getaway happens to fall over Inauguration Day!  I have been glued to the television every day, I just cannot get enough!  The history!  The ceremony!  The anticipation!  The clothes!  I admit that I am a news junkie anytime, but I live for these big events, and this is the biggest!  I am so curious about everything . . . I wonder who's behind it all, planning who goes where and how they get there and what they should be wearing . . . and, like, who's in charge of packing up the white house and when the Obama's get home tonight will their stuff be unpacked for them and how will the find anything?  If Laura accidently left her shampoo in the bathtub will Michele try to get it back to her or can she just use it?  And I want to know what the Obama's talked about at breakfast this morning . . . like, just because he's about to be President, does he still make the coffee or does Michele have to and does that make her mad and does she think, he doesn't do anything around here to help me . ..?

If I could be anyone in the world right now I would want to be Ann or Katie or Campbell.  Ah I should have gone into journalism . . . instead I'll be chasing kids and wiping noses and cutting up bananas . . . and playing dolls that we named Sasha and Malia and telling my girls that we have a new President and that they can't understand yet all that this day means but one day their dad and I will tell them . . . and the words will be trapped in my heart and I'll think about how much hurt is in the world and yet the good that can triumph over evil and I will only tell them that these three remain: faith, hope, and love (give your life to these!  I'll say). But the greatest of these is love. 

4 comments:

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

Cute post. Glad you are thawing

Betty said...

The sunshine is working! Jess is back. Great post. You should have put up a nice sunny pic, the droopy tree was kinda sad.heehee.

charrette said...

You actually ARE a journalist. A very poetic one. Chronicling your daily life, and things bigger than this world as well. Glad you got a vacation! Enjoy!

Heather of the EO said...

Somehow I missed this one. Dang. I love it.