Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Another Book

I Feel Bad About My Neck, by Nora Ephron
This was a selection for my Book Club last month.  I wasn't familiar with Nora Ephron until I read this book.  She is best known for her screenplays When Harry Met Sally and Sleepless in Seattle, which gives you an idea of the style and wit of her writing.  What's up with the title of her book is related to her thoughts on aging, which she dances around as she tells about her life in New York City.  It's "light" reading to say the least, and at first I wasn't too impressed but the more I read I became rather intrigued . . . she's an artist who made it.  She's in that exclusive artsy/intellectual/wealthy NYC culture . . . she can afford to get her hair done every week at such-and-such salon, and to eat here and with this person and live there, and spend her days with artist friends talking about art . . . and she cooks so some of it is food writing which is interesting to me . . . but the poignant part of the book is that, inevitably, her life is coming to an end.  She can't stop it, doesn't like it.  Friends are dying.  She's not as beautiful as she was (hence the title) . . . it was really profound to me that here, a woman whose life was a huge success, who had managed to climb her way to the top in every way, was trying to come to grips with death that to her is, at best, unknown, but probably just the end.  How sad.  Where did I just hear someone preaching say that Death is the great equalizer, it doesn't matter who you are, death comes for everyone.  How awful to have lived such a happy life that you desperately want to cling to it, to stay forever young, with no hope for the afterlife.  I read this quote by Yancey today on the blog Holy Experience:

“View death not as the disease that permanently spoils life, but rather as the only cure to the disease of life.  For sin has permanently stained all life, and only through death --- Christ’s death and our own – can we realize a cured, sinless state."  -Yancey

1 comment:

Heather of the EO said...

I'm starting to feel bad about my neck too. :)

I don't know why, but I've been very curious about this book. Now, even more curious.