February

February

First we forgot where wed planted those bulbs last year, 
Then we forgot that wed planted at all, 
Then we forgot what plants are altogether, 
and I blamed you for my freezing and forgetting and 
The nights were long and cold and scary, 
Can we live through February? 

You know I think Christmas was a long red glare, 
Shot up like a warning, we gave presents without cards, 
And then the snow, 
then the snow came, we were always out shoveling, 
And wed drop to sleep exhausted, 
Then wed wake up, and its snowing. 

And February was so long that it lasted into March 
And found us walking a path alone together. 
You stopped and pointed and you said, "That's a crocus," 
And I said, "What's a crocus?" and you said, "Its a flower," 
I tried to remember, but I said, "What's a flower?" 
You said, "I still love you." 

-Dar Williams
(not the entire song)

Comments

charrette said…
I love Dar Williams! We saw her here in concert last fall. And yet somehow I missed this incredible song. Which album is it on? And thanks for sharing.
Shannon said…
Jess, you gave me a copy of this cd... I so LOVED it (can't find it anymore) but I do have this song on my ipod and listen to it often. It reminds me of you... (along with the Christians and the pagans) Love you!

Popular Posts