Friday, April 3, 2009

Quick Takes Friday


1.  I read this brilliant quote this week by Annie Dillard . . . 
One of the few things I know about writing is this: spend it all, shoot it, play it, lose it, all, right away, every time. Do not hoard what seems good for a later place in the book, or for another book; give it, give it all, give it now. The impulse to save something good for a better place later is the signal to spend it now. Something more will arise for later, something better. These things fill from behind, from beneath, like well water. Similarly, the impulse to keep to yourself what you have learned is not only shameful, it is destructive. Anything you do not give freely and abundantly becomes lost to you. You open your safe and find ashes.
This is what I do.  I have an idea, and I hoard it for the perfect time, just the right occasion, until I can think more clearly . . . this is what has happened with my fun series . . . it was brimming, fizzing, and now it's flat and going nowhere.  

I have recognized this pattern in other areas of my life . . . I save and wait and  tuck away what is meant to be lived out in the present.

2.  I got a bad haircut.  Really bad.  Every time I look in the mirror I check to see if it's grown any yet.  I'm typically not so insecure about things like this.  Really, I'm not.  That's how you know how bad it is.

3.  I love this post I found from Ruth's blog, Everyone loves a pregnant woman (but kids we can do without).   And before you give that arched-eyebrow uh-huh like I did, keep reading because I had to face my own contradictions too.

4.  God calls us to certain things- not all things . . . (The Livesays in Haiti)  

5.  We are considering homeschooling.  It seems like a big decision but I am excited about the possibility.

6.  I love, love the little church we are going to.  After all our changes last summer, God led us to the perfect place.  I love how I am stretching and growing; love the simple, humble faith that we are called to; love the kind, humble people; love the profound little ways that Mennonites have always worked to change the world.  So much about our church feels like coming home.

7  I love what someone said to my friend Lori, an MCCer working in New York City, about the Mennonites, "they have always been about service and social justice.  They just don't have to be cool about it."  I love that.  

Seven Quick Takes Friday is hosted at Conversion Diary.

3 comments:

Ruth said...

I love the Annie Dillard quote.

Jennifer @ Conversion Diary said...

I know, I love that Annie Dillard quote.

#2 - Ouch. What a bummer.

#5 - So are we! I'm still not 100% sure but I think that's the route we will go.

#4 - I really needed to hear that today. Thank you for sharing that.

Thanks for participating! These were fun to read.

Heather of the EO said...

I love the whole thing. I wonder more and more how you keep bringing up things we have in common. I HAVE to meet you one day :)