Thursday, May 21, 2009

Happy Birthday, Blog

I can't believe I missed the first birthday of this blog!  My first post was May 13 of last year, and I didn't have a clue what I would write about . . . at the time we thought we were moving away, and my blog would be a way to tell my mom about what the kids were up to.  We didn't move away.  But I'm still blogging  . . . I know, I know, not a lot of blogging happening lately!  But I'll be back on a more regular basis again soon I'm sure.  I was thinking today of why blogging has been one of the best things I did this year.  

When I began blogging we were in transition, and this blog was a space for me to sort things out.

I was able to discover that I love to write, and it has led to other writing opportunities.

I am so thankful for the beautiful people I have "met" through blogging, the insight that they have given me in their comments, the friends I have made.

I have been able to connect with other moms through blogging and learn from them, it truly helped me to not feel so isolated as a stay-at-home-mom through the long winter months.

I have learned so much through other people's blogs!  Thanks to my Google Reader I have an endless supply of preschool activities, parenting tips, household solutions, inspiring thoughts and ideas, beautiful people seeking God . . . .

I didn't realize that the time I was spending reading and interacting with blogs was also preparing me with tools and ideas for when we launched tuscMom this spring.

It seems appropriate that I give credit to two of the people who I have most enjoyed getting to know through blogging: 

Heather is a fun mom with such a great perspective on parenting and it's joys and tribulations.  Her blog is sweet, without being sappy, and honest with a good balance of wise and hilarious.  And, she was recently named as "one of the leading voices in the mom blogosphere."  She deserves it!  This is one of my favorite posts she's written recently:  the hours are turtles, the summer a hare.

I have so much respect for Charette in every way:  she's a (real) artist, a wise mother, and a lovely writer and storyteller.  The stories she tells inspire me to live gracefully, artfully, and open to life's great beauty.  I love this poem she posted recently, Standing Still and Motion Sick.

So thanks to the lovely people I have met and those I haven't yet but hope to, who still keep coming back . . . you all make blogging so much fun!


5 comments:

Kazzy said...

I love these two ladies also. They are real and deep and terrific. Happy bloggy birthday!

charrette said...

You and I started blogging just about two weeks apart...amazing! (And I missed my blog's birthday too...we were in total crisis at the time.) Thank you for this lovely link and tribute. My word, this is exactly the way I feel about you. You are one of my top finds in the year I've been blogging...I can't wait to put up that post you inspired.

You are one of the dearest friends I've never met! :)

xo

Heather of the EO said...

Wow, thank you so much. Your words mean more than I can say because i have such a great respect for you.

I'm SO glad to have "met" you in this great blogosphere. SO glad.

Ruth said...

I am so glad you are blogging. It has been wonderful to reconnect with you.

deb said...

I am fairly new to blogging, and echo many of your sentiments, and please know that the honour of reading words such as yours, in my soul filling time is a grace.