Saturday, May 23, 2009

Something about May

Something about May stirs memories and causes me to look back in this hasty month of moving on.  It is the season of bursting out of things; sprouts and shoes, soil and place; recklessly, carelessly shedding layers in pursuit of blossoming, like it or not.  

Change happens.  My little girls, all about growing up and I can't help it, can't stop it, don't wish to.  I'm little and big, she says.   Yes, you are and somewhere so am I, that clinging seed cozied in the earth reluctant and resolute. 

May turns tassels and makes plans and waves hello and goodbye.  I prefer change that comes quietly.  In May, change bursts.  The earth falls out from under you.  I spend a lot of the summer recovering.

Related (I love these!):
Durum Wheat Memory at it's finest lacks corroboration . . . by Lisa Martin-DeMoor 

Moorings The thing is, nothing goes away . . . at Okay, Fine, Dammit

3 comments:

maggie, dammit said...

Ohmygosh! Thank you, Jess. This link is particularly awesome because your post is so lovely. I'm gonna go read it again. (And happy blog birthday!) :)

Heather of the EO said...

Jess, you're spot on once again.

And our May around here is full of birthdays, blowing us over and reminding us we're older and it's going so fast...sigh.

Kazzy said...

You are so right. After the rains of April we got us some blossoming to do!