Tuesday, June 16, 2009

It's summer. I want everything.

I want ten children and a screen door that bangs. I want white sheets on the clothesline, and lots of bare feet in the kitchen where glasses with lemons leave puddles on the countertop. I want to hear my children yell and watch their little bodies dive and fall and knot together, all knees and bums and pink until I must stop whatever it is I am stirring and untangle them; leaving them to giggles and popsicles and sticky drips on the dog. I want to watch the seasons pass my window, for ten minutes every Monday, while my hands punch the same dough my grandmother still makes and my house smells yeasty and wholesome like hers. I want long hot days and a garden, with peas that need shelled one by one and the sound of them dropping in a bucket.  I want the sun to shine past bedtime and keep us all awake and reading Charlotte's Web on the creaking porch swing.  I want sandy high-fives stuck to the windows, and weedy flower beds and a worn-out welcome mat.  I want a giant oak tree.  I want to smell like sunscreen and have tanlines in weird places.  I want to line-up canning jars like a Victory Parade all across the kitchen.  I want to pick my own berries and find a thousand ways to use up zucchini and tomatoes.  I want to dance in the rain and make lemonade and stop and smell the roses.  It's summer.  I want everything.

11 comments:

Leslie said...

I love the imagery in this post. Lovely! I want the same things.

Heather of the EO said...

Oh boy. Another post I might have to steal for the Annex.

This is just so beautiful. I want everything too. Summer makes me want everything too. All of these things, and couldn't the list just keep going and going?

Lovely!

charrette said...

So beautiful! I love all the imagery you've created here. Can I come spend summer at YOUR house? 'Cause I want everything, too!

Kazzy said...

Yup, I want it all. At least I want all of this kind of stuff. Sounds like you are a true country girl at heart!

Mylestones said...

Beautiful post! Makes me want everything too. Ahh, summer...

primtothebrim said...

WOW, that is just the way I want it too...

Becky said...

you can come experience this at my house...kinda...it's not quite as dreamy as you have painted, but ya...come...it's all good... :) ha. :) beautiful post, jess, but i have to be honest and admit my mixed feelings. i like this idea of summer, but i also long for sandy beaches and sun and just the hubby and a good book and a good margarita and no stickiness or tan lines in weird places! :) love ya, girl and wish you could be here with kole! :)

Forest said...

that's perfect!

Amy said...

Love It!

Heidi said...

I'm coming to your worn-out welcome mat. And I want to stay.

Everything lovely more than my words can express.

deb said...

oh such bittersweet words. I do try, in the wanting of all those truths, but with 5 kids and the summers piling , can I wish for reading in my backyard tent of quilts , with ants and sweaty forehead, and waiting the call to go in for cucumber sandwiches?

you write beautifully, I am just living in a little too much chaos lately :)

popped over from your comment on Amber's post.