So I Am Such a Cliche . . .


. . . a small town girl determined to leave her small town and never look back . . . 
somehow finds herself back in her small town where she meets a small town boy who's just passing through,
the summer solstice, he promises to take her away from their small town . . . 
so they have a small town wedding and begin a small town life,
but just for now,  
and have small town babies and begin a small town family . . . 
still dreaming far-away dreams and reading books and pointing at maps and stopping to gaze across fields at the horizon . . . 
and some days these small town parents look at each other over the small heads of their children and marvel that they're still here, all these years and still dreaming . . . and he reads Russian at night and she peels stone mangos and they swap stories about trains.

But other days they drive through the green hills and say well it is so beautiful here . . . and some summer evenings they sit outside with their friends and drink wine from grapes grown just over the hill, and they talk about small town things . . . 

and they wonder if small isn't just a label after all; what does that mean but a zip code, a geographical location . . . New York or Moscow or Sugarcreek . . . all made up of me and you and our neighbor, all small small towns doing our own smallish things . . .

So another summer solstice and I'm watching these same fireworks on the same horizon, thinking about things so stunning and bright and big, how they once seemed so close that I believed I could reach up and carry them home in my shirt, 
any color I'd like.  

Comments

charrette said…
Wow, so beautiful. How did I not see this post until today?

This totally reminds me of a lovely children's book called Fanny's Dream. If you email me your address I'll send it to you. (Serious).
I just recently took Miles to see "Up" Have you seen it? I think you'd LOVE it like I did (apart from a few overly violent cartoon moments)

Ugh...and here I am, WANTING to go back to the small town after leaving for the far off big city for years. The grass really is always greening. The wanting, it's always there...OH how I want for CONTENTMENT. So tricky.
SJ said…
I LOVE reading your posts, Jessica!!!!!!!!! How can I make them enter into my email so I can read every single one whenever you post them? I don't want to miss ANY! You have a marvelous gift for writing.
Elizabeth said…
Jess... for nearly a month now I've left this post in my google reader waiting for just the right time when I had the mental space to read it again and smile and leave a comment. Unfortunately it's been "that kind of a month" and though I've not much more mental space now than I probably had on July 1, I realize that I probably won't... at least for a while. So here I sit, in my "not so small town" where it's nearly midnight and the rain is falling and the wind is blowing and I'm smiling as I picture you being happy and loving life in your small town. And even though my own town wouldn't quickly be labeled small, like you I'm realizing more and more that "small" is just a label. And that though our closest Czech friends are nearly an hour away by bus, metro, and a short walk, whenever we're together it's hard not to feel that small town feeling of "all is right with the world"... even if we're stumbling over sentences in two languages. :)
Elizabeth said…
Jess... for nearly a month now I've left this post in my google reader waiting for just the right time when I had the mental space to read it again and smile and leave a comment. Unfortunately it's been "that kind of a month" and though I've not much more mental space now than I probably had on July 1, I realize that I probably won't... at least for a while. So here I sit, in my "not so small town" where it's nearly midnight and the rain is falling and the wind is blowing and I'm smiling as I picture you being happy and loving life in your small town. And even though my own town wouldn't quickly be labeled small, like you I'm realizing more and more that "small" is just a label. And that though our closest Czech friends are nearly an hour away by bus, metro, and a short walk, whenever we're together it's hard not to feel that small town feeling of "all is right with the world"... even if we're stumbling over sentences in two languages. :)

Popular Posts