Friday, July 24, 2009

Prayer and Vitamin B

Were it not for my thickening waist and a fuse as short as the second line on a pregnancy test, I would never believe the THREE positive tests I've taken.  I don't feel pregnant.  Not queasy, not feverish, not even fluttery like I did the entire nine months before.  Usually by this time I'm curled-up on the bathroom floor, or at the very least clinging to banisters and stopping to drop my head on the table every once in a while.  

. . . Well that was so three days ago because HELLO nausea.  Although I am STILL believing that I'm feeling way better than I did before at this time (though I'm not exactly clear on the weeks-I've never been good at math, which is what got me into this situation).

So I am begging, anyone who has experienced morning sickness or hyperemesis with your pregnancies, what were your methods for coping?  I'm currently taking vitamin B6, ginger, and drinking lots of ginger tea.  And salt and vinegar chips seem to help.  Any other remedies/advice/suggestions for how to cope?  Any ideas for what to do with my babies for the next ten weeks or so?

Ok, that is my last desperate plea . . . I'm only thinking positive thoughts from now on . . . and pretending that what I'm feeling right now isn't the urge to go throw up but only great excitement over being pregnant . . . .  (I will really try not to turn this into a blog dedicated to complaining about my pregnancy for the next nine months.  I'll try.  That's what my husband is for).  

But really, suggestions for survival . . . send them to me PLEASE! 

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

My one pregnancy morning-sickness was taken care of by eating watermelon ALL the time. Another pregnancy sickness was taken care of by eating CELERY and Wassem Rye crackers...what a combination; it worked for me! A third pregnancy was eating fresh lettuce and cantalope 24/7....lol...good luck and best wishes on your new addition!!

Ashley said...

Jess, the only thing that killed my nausea was 1/2 tablet of doxylamine succinate (Unisom) and 1/2 tablet of B6. When taken together it DOES work miracles! I took it throughout both of my pregnancies and it is Category A (if you care about that stuff). It WILL make you tired, especially when you first start taking it. But after a while, you will feel just a tad drowsy. My doc told me about it the first time around, and the second time I called a Pregnancy Nausea Information Line (while I was at your parents house lol), and they told me the exact same thing!!!! When I tried to be tough and wouldn't take it, I felt horrible. But really it is the only thing that helped me cope! Hope that helps!

Ashley said...

Also, packing supplies (bubble wrap and styrofoam peanuts) might keep them occupied for a long time when you want to just camp out on the couch!!!

Kazzy said...

Best of luck to ya. Sorry I don't have any morning sickness advice. :(

Anonymous said...

Hey Jess
I went thru boxes and boxes of saltine crackers. I had them stashed everywhere. I seemed to feel a little better if I always kept something in my stomach. Good luck!

Amber@theRunaMuck said...

I've got nothing,

But I would like to say that I'll read any complaining you have to dish out.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry your nausea has kicked in :( I wouldn't say these 'helped' but I bought those packs of crackers that have peanut butter and honey inside and those tasted really good lately. Also tea with lots of honey & lately fresh peaches and blueberries. I will call you, my mom is always talking to her nurse friends and calling me up her updated information. Please complain, I think that helps as well as medicine is to complain to people who understand...we'll listen :)

Z

Heather of the EO said...

Holy COWS, look what I've missed! I'm so behind! But so glad I know now!

I'm so happy for you. No, not that you have terrible morning sickness...but because another lovely human will come to join you. You're an amazing mom, I just know it. That's why this little person needs to come.

Morning sickness...um...I don't know a whole lot. My friends with the worst kind take meds...like the kind for chemo tummy sickness. Maybe you should ask for that?

Yeah...a lot of help I am!

Kelly said...

Icky - I just got through mine a couple weeks ago. The best thing that I did with this one and with my first was to eat some sort of protein every hour or so, to keep my blood sugar level.

Found your blog through Amber at the RunAmuck - love your style! I'll be back!

charrette said...

I almost forgot my best tip of all:
1/2 a Unisom tablet every day, along with the vitamin B. Don't ask me why, but it totally takes the edge off. (This one came from my doctor, who specialized in high-risk pregnancies, so I know it's safe.)

Hang in there, Mama!

xo

sarah leanne said...

Hi Jess....I'm sorry the nausea has hit, and can only hope it's a little better by now! I found my best days were literally when I snacked the whole day...just a little bit here and there, it kept my stomach calm. Animal crackers and popcicles have been my friends! Hope you are feeling better...

charrette said...

Hey, I'm just stopping back to say hello and I hope you're doing okay. The prayers continue...

kerri said...

Jessica,
I randomly found your blog from Melissa Rex's blog. I'm at week 14 of my fourth pregnancy and the trick this time around was lemonade. My doctor suggested it, and it actually helped a lot. Just a thought! Hope you feel better soon and congratulations!
Kerri Stetler