Thursday, October 29, 2009

Ramblings from Quiet Time

Today I declared an hour of SILENCE! and glory, it's actually working. Although it took about twenty minutes to get them to nap/quiet time, and I've had to get up once to put the little one back to bed and once to find the crayons and once to look at a boo-boo and once to say do-not-ask-me-to-get-something-for-you-again . . . so now that hour is already about up. Ah, well, I'll take what I can get!

A switch flipped sometime about two days before we moved, and thank Heavens, it is like an elephant finally got off my body. It took me about another week of stumbling around but by now, so long as I don't do something crazy, like walk fast, or drink a glass of water, I am feeling pretty close to normal and could almost forget the last twenty weeks and imagine doing this pregnancy thing another time or two . . . or maybe not.

We love our new house! And we especially love the neighborhood and our new little town. I will have to post some pics and describe life in Amish-ville in another post . . . a different neighbor has stopped in to bring us cookies or a meal or put out a fire (another post) just about every day, and they are all so friendly and always act like they don't even notice the messy house/electricity/store-bought bread on the counter. We are a short, pretty walk to town, but I can see horses on the hill from my window. And we are super close to my favorite Amish market and bulk food store . . . although we are also quite a distance from things like Wal-Mart or Red Box or reasonable gasoline or what some may call civilization. We do, however, have a buggy lane in our McDonald's drive-thru.

Well, there is more to come but Quiet Time apparently is over . . . more from the land of Milk and Honey, and Peanut Butter Pie . . . coming soon!

(I'm having a current case of writer's block/ just-can't-think-straight. And, I would really like to become more disciplined about writing daily. So just to prove to myself that I can still blog, and to avoid clearing boxes out of the basement, I am going to set a goal of blogging every day for a week. I know! I can't believe it either! Well anyway, I don't know why you would want to but stop back soon)!



3 comments:

Kazzy said...

You made me want to move back east again! Your rural life sounds so peaceful and happy. Enjoy!

Ashley said...

Oooohhh, I can't wait!!!!

charrette said...

Oh, Jess, I am SO GLAD you're feeling more like yourself again. And I am honestly DYING to hear more about your new home and your Amish neighbors! And the buggy lane at McDonald's. It sounds like the perfect home for an artist, and a perfectly peaceful place for your children to grow up. I totally want to come visit you!