Friday, January 22, 2010

Quick Takes: Haiti

1.
It has been over a week since Haiti's horrible earthquake, and I am yet unable to think about anything else.  I've tried, several times, to blog about it, but what is there to say?  I have been so thankful for social networking as blogs and facebook have allowed me to follow closely the friends I know, or wish I knew, and whose updates I trust more than the media.

One difference, they say, is that the media reports of looting and violence have been greatly exaggerated.  Most of their descriptions are of the people singing and praising God, praying, flying paper plate kites over the tent cities.  This is the Haiti I remember.  Their resilience is unbelievable.
2.
I am amazed by all that is happening on the school campus where I taught, the massive amount of work and coordination happening from this one place that seems to have endured little, if any, destruction.  I was excited to stumble upon this blog of some current teachers at QCS, giving vivid updates of all the activity happening on campus.  I loved being able to see the school in pictures, visualizing the command center that it has become.  

My friend Jodie's status update describes it:  Our campus is like a mini UN, with all different nationalities working together for a common cause. At times like this, the church becomes The Church. I feel so blessed to be a tiny part of it.
3.
When teams arrive without those skills and without their own supplies, they drain resources that could better be used for actual victims . . .
If you buy a can of peas and it costs 59 cents, it’ll cost about $80 to get it where it needs to go,”
So what is the best thing to do?  At times like this it seems, for most of us, the greatest good, though least romantic or heroic, is to pray and send money.  (May I suggest here or here or here?)
4.
Among Jennifer's Ten Best Links of 2009 List, I found this, Where Is The Body of Christ?  I would nominate it as my favorite blog post of 2009, or ever . . .
I DO NOT BELIEVE that the God of the universe created too many children in His image and not enough love or food or care to go around. In fact I believe that He created the Body of Christ for just that, to help these little ones, the least of these. And I believe that except for a handful, the Body of Christ is failing.
. . . That is 168.8 million needy children like Michael and Patricia. Seems like a big number, huh? It shouldn't, because there are 2.1 BILLION people on this earth who profess to be Christians. Jesus followers. Servants. Gospel live-ers. And id only 8 percent of those Christians would care for just ONE of these needy children, they would all be taken care of.
5.
If there is anything good coming from this tragedy already, it is in the number of  adoptions being expedited.  My friends Jake and Kristen didn't expect to bring their son Kemly home for another year, but were able to fly today to bring him home!
6.
In honor of Haiti, here's a recipe for rice and beans that is super, super easy, cheap, healthy, and delish . . . (nothing at all like Haitian rice and beans, which I have been unable to find anything quite like since I left).  
The easiest black beans and rice ever:
2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 cup chunky salsa
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
(next time I think I'll add some cilantro and garlic, too)
sour cream
The recipe says to puree it all in a blender, but I didn't.  Just heated and served over rice, with sour cream if it's too spicy for your 4 year old.  YUM.
(Why do rice and beans make me so very, very happy?)
7.
I love our Mennonite church . . . and I loved this post by Greg Boyd:  I told Mennonites to Go To Hell (and they liked it)!

Quick Takes Friday is hosted at Conversion Diary.

2 comments:

LMShunk said...

Me too.

Emotions = like a bouncy ball.

Love you Jess!!

Lisa

Jake and Kristin said...

Thanks for the shout out Jess! I'm making your Haitian rice and beans for my little Haitian tonight! I'll let you know the verdict! :D