Friday, January 8, 2010

Quick Takes Friday

1.
 (In reference to my previous post), I often forget that there are Christians who would be alarmed at the thought of their kids listening to secular music.  I would submit to them this: 
If it’s bad art, it’s bad religion, no matter how pious the subject.  
-Madeleine L'Engle

2.
I don't believe we've left the house all week!  It is rare for me to say this, but it's been quite nice.  We were all ready for some cozy quiet after the busy weeks of Christmas and New Years.  There has been a steady snowfall all week, and yesterday and today we are getting hit with a snowstorm- LOVE it!  
3.
These are the days that I am so thankful to get to stay at home with my kids.  We've done a little crafting, some cleaning and organizing, read a lot of books . . . fixed cozy wintertime suppers and baked bread.  I am definitely a summertime girl, but I really appreciate the rhythm of the seasons, the slow silence of this time of year, as well. 
4.
I am also thankful to take a break from winter and enjoy some Florida sunshine!  The girls and I are flying tomorrow, and will spend a week with my parents and Grandma.  Can't wait!!
5.
I am getting so much blogging done this week- as well as journaling, Bible reading, and general delicious peaceful alone time- because I have been getting up EARLY.  Like, between 4 and 5 o'clock early.  I didn't intend to begin this routine, but we're dealing with some sleep issues this week, and 4 a.m. seems to be the time that both girls wake up needing something, which has been prompting me to get up and start my day.  I love early mornings, but have been so exhausted with pregnancy, and usually sleeping with one or the other child, that for the past few months I haven't been waking up until one of them wakes up.  Our mornings were beginning harsh and jarring, I wasn't getting ANY time to myself, Annie is in a particularly demanding phase, and I was becoming increasingly grumpy.  This week, although I have been a little more tired by the end of the day, I am finding myself far more pleasant and able to enjoy my kids because I've gotten to begin the day with some time to myself.  Being tired is totally worth a few precious hours of quiet.
6.
This is the time when pregnancy begins to take a serious hit to your self-esteem.  Even my maternity clothes are starting not to fit, I feel like I'm heaving this giant belly around, wondering how I can possibly keep stretching for another two and a half months!?  Rather than daydreaming about tiny baby toes and shopping for sleepers, I am finding myself daydreaming about finding my ankles again, and wistfully flipping through spring clothing catalogues.  I remember somebody saying one time that there is nothing more beautiful than a pregnant woman.  That person was clearly delusional. 
7.
I suppose if I'm going to be this fat I may as well enjoy it.  This is one of my favorite bar cookie recipes, because it is so simple to make and everything in it is healthy (well, besides the butter).  It was given to me by my friend Jodie in Haiti:
DOUBLE CRUNCH BARS (similar to Nature Valley granola bars)
4 c. Quick Oats
1 1/2 c. chopped nuts (walnuts are a healing food)
1 c. brown sugar
3/4 c. butter, melted
1/2 c. honey or corn syrup (I use honey, another healing food)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. salt

Combine all ingredients, mix well.  Press firmly into a well-greased 15 1/2 by 10 1/2" jelly roll pan.  Bake @ 450 for 10-12 min., or until golden and bubbly.  Enjoy!

(time is 7:49 and girls are still asleep!  Glory!)

Quick Takes Friday is hosted at Conversion Diary.

3 comments:

Young Mom said...

I totally agree with number 6. Although I am not currently pregnant (that know of)I am always stunned by how big I get. I think I forget between pregnancies or something. At 6 month people are asking me if the baby is coming soon and commenting on how big I am! I am as big at 5 months pregnant, as some of the tiny women at my church are full-term, its ridiculous.

deb said...

Thought of you , and your connections to Haiti in this terrible tragedy.
Hope it is okay that I am sending prayers.

Heather of the EO said...

Oh I hope you have a great time in the sun in Florida. What timing, to be so close to Haiti. Thinking of you...