Wednesday, January 6, 2010

A New Year, and Book #1

I haven't come up with a lot of resolutions for the New Year.  One big one is to have a baby, and past experience tells me to lower my expectations for what I think I can pull off in the coming year, hopeful as I may be.  It seems I often enter into January with this renewed confidence that I'll be able to accomplish everything that I'd been unable to do the previous year, only to discover that the new year apparently has the same number of hours in it's days as the last.

I really like Lisa's approach to setting New Year's goals at Simple Mom; winter is for reflection, springtime is for action.  This resonates with me because I tend to set my goals for the year when slowing down feels like a necessary and welcome change.  By spring, I'm happy to be busy and productive,but my New Years Resolutions by this time are usually long forgotten.  

For now, my only New Year's goals are to take care of my family, cook and eat healthy, and to read more books. 

As far as cooking and eating healthy, I should clarify that at this stage of my pregnancy I eat often, and a lot.  But I am attempting to at least eat foods that my body needs, especially because I am anemic and for the most part yet unable to digest a lot of vitamins or supplements.  This year my aunt turned me on to the book SuperFoods Rx, and I tried this year to implement more of these foods into our diet.  This article is a good summary of some of the ways that food is our medicine.  

I have often wished that I kept a better record of books I read, and I like how my friend Ruth reviews and lists the books she reads on her blog.  Though I highly doubt that I will ever read the number of books that she reads in a year (she is an inspiring reader), and I am quite certain that I won't attempt to read War and Peace, like she did this year, I am going to at least keep track of my reading here on my blog.

The first book I read of 2010 is The Lost Symbol, by Dan Brown.  This book's most redeeming quality is that it kept me turning pages and in suspense for the past three nights.  And that was all I wanted in a book this week.  Though I agree with the criticisms of the book, this week I was happy to have a fast-moving, easy-reading mystery that kept me guessing, and just like the Da Vinci Code, took me completely by surprise.  The entire book spans one night, and though I understand his historical detail is questionable, it was interesting to learn about the masons, some new angles on American history, and the idea of hidden portals and secret codes and ancient mysteries is intriguing, if not entirely plausible.   

(*spoiler alert*) 

I did feel that the end was inevitably anti-climactic.  Aside from a few ominous and rather cheap references to the year 2012, it seemed difficult for him to deliver on the build-up of underground pyramids and classified science and cataclysmic secrets.  But I will heartily agree with his conclusion to seek wisdom by reading ancient sacred texts, the Bible.

No comments: