Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Books 4 & 5

It's 2 a.m.  Pregnancy insomnia has avoided me the past couple of months; apparently, no longer.  

Thought I'd post an update on what I've been reading . . .  


Ok, I don't know why I felt like I should read this book . . . I suppose because it seems to be a classic and the title is always popping up . . . so when I ran across a copy at a used book store, I bought it.  I also admit that I assumed, given the popularity of the book, that it's title must be a metaphor for something . . . nope.  It's really about Zen and Motorcycle Maintenance.  

I'm sure there was value in my reading the 500+ pages of this book . .. my mind was stretched in philosophical directions that it doesn't normally wander . . . but a lot of the reading was done out of sheer will to finish the book so that I could move on to something else.  The storyline, however, of a dad and his son on a cross-country motorcycle trip, made the heavy philosophy dialogue and descriptions of motorcycle maintenance easier to endure.

The next book was a quick read, a little dark, but stirring . . . The Reader begins with an affair between a fifteen year-old boy and a 37 year-old woman.  Once you get past the startling facts of the affair, the book is really about guilt and secrets in Post-Nazi Germany.  The relationship between this young man and much-older woman feels disconnected and stark- which it was, and remained, even though their lives were entangled forever after.  I think the straightforward writing style and blunt edge of the story gave a sense of the mood among Germany's younger generation, as they attempted to cope with their own anger and shame, and their parents' complicated weight of guilt.

3 comments:

Renee said...

The Reader sounds intresting. I hope you can get some sleep mama! And Grats on the pregnancy!

Bridget said...

You probably know this, but there's a movie of The Reader, w/Kate Winslet. I thought it was pretty good, actually.

Kazzy said...

I have heard that title so many times but have not read it. And The Reader looked intriguing as a film, but haven't thought to read it. I just read a book called Olive Kitteridge for my book club tomorrow night. Good one.

Hope you are well. I need to figure out how to get you on my reader. For some reason it is not working.