Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Irrational Season- Book 12


I knew that I wouldn't get to do a lot of reading in these first weeks with a new baby (some women are able to read books while nursing, but I've yet to master that) and so I wanted to choose the right book.  It took me six weeks to read The Irrational Season , but it was the PERFECT choice for this time in my life.

In typical L'Engle fashion, she came like a wise old friend and spoke to PRECISELY the matters of my heart at this moment.  (When I was struggling to find the courage to make art and to integrate it with my faith in a fiercely left-brained world, I read Walking on Water .   During a time of simply wilting I read The Rock that is Higher and Bright Evening Star and it was like finding my breath).

The Irrational Season would likely drive someone inclined to structure crazy, because it tends to ramble and jump from topic to topic, but I loved it for that . . . it is just how my life is now . . . wrestling with who God is, the question of evil . . . battlefields and slums and insane asylums as she keeps coming back to . . . the Noes of God, the silence of God . . . and in the same moment living the ordinary struggles of motherhood, trying to find balance and to resolve the conflict between mother and writer . . . loneliness and community . . . friendship, marriage, church . . . even the joys and frustrations with living in a small town.

I related to aspects of her childhood (the very things I have been reliving as I consider sending my children to school) and how these things allowed her to "find herself within, rather than without . . . so that the larger world of imagination and intuition was not closed off for me as it was for many of my contemporaries."

This book probably isn't for everyone.  But for this season of my life, these weeks in particular, it was life-giving.
This is the irrational season
         When love blooms bright and wild
        Had Mary been filled with reason
                   There'd have been no room for the child.

2 comments:

Janet said...

I really loved this book too. Thanks for giving me an opportunity to relive it!

charrette said...

I love Madeleine L'Engle! I have Circle of Quiet (Book One) on my nightstand right now.

I must admit I'm a tad depressed that there are 12...