Some Worthwhile Reading Lately . ..


there is nothing you can buy, achieve, own, or rent that can fill up that hunger inside for a sense of fulfillment and wonder. But the good news is that creative expression, whether that means writing, dancing, bird-watching, or cooking, can give a person almost everything that he or she has been searching for: enlivenment, peace, meaning, and the incalculable wealth of time spent quietly in beauty.
Then I bring up the bad news: You have to make time to do this.
This means you have to grasp that your manic forms of connectivity—cell phone, email, text, Twitter—steal most chances of lasting connection or amazement. That multitasking can argue a wasted life. That a close friendship is worth more than material success . . . 
at Time Lost and Found by Anne Lamott 
another good Monday at Flowerdust:
What pleases him is the “old” he clings to, fearing to lose it, but he is certainly not happy with it.
And so he keeps himself “old” and cannot change: he is not open to any newness. . . at Merton Mondays- The Old Man


My reading ebbs and flows according to my children's sleep habits . . . Last month I got halfway through three books before calling surrender, which I will blame entirely on the non-sleeping state I was in . . . well, and I just couldn't get into the books either.

I did finish two finally:

kids are worth it!: Giving Your Child the Gift of Inner Discipline by Barbara Curtis.  I read this because Ruth said it is one of her favorite parenting books and Ruth and her husband are two of my favorite parents.  I was really stretched and challenged by this book, gained tons of creative ideas, and will no doubt keep this for a reference as the kids grow because it is very useful for older children and teenagers as well.  I don't have time to cite from it at the moment . . . 

The second book was Vinegar Hill by A. Manette Ansay.  It is a heartbreaking, infuriating and fast-paced read, I couldn't put it down.  It also stirred many thoughts on the subject of divorce and religion and the fact that it is far more complex than most churches will admit . . . for an excellent, thought-provoking message on Jesus and divorce, this is a great one. 

(. . . I read a post like this and have a hard time sleeping after.  I struggle to make sense of it, to justify myself, my comfort . . . I feel angry and yet I feel powerless . . . what can I possibly do from here, in my comfortable little world? . . . and I think about the Rich Man and What the Gospel Demands and am ashamed).

Comments

Matt said…
Hey Jess, I was telling Darcee about this episode on Fresh Air I heard today, and she said you posted something similar on your blog. If you would like, here's the link to the audio and the transcript. It's a great author interview. Enjoy!

http://www.npr.org/templates/rundowns/rundown.php?prgId=13

PS: Tell the girls (and Jim) we said hi, and enjoy the rest of your barefooted, fun-loving summer!
Fijufic said…
The latest family book I have read was "Letting go" which pertains to college aged children.

*Whew* empty nest syndrome returns.

Enjoy your family.

Bobby
ShortyRobs said…
Good word and articles! I sooooo need to make more time for real-life connection, but my introverted nature makes it so much easier for me to connect artificially through social media. "Kisses from Kate" ALWAYS convicts me!
I loved that Lamott article. A lot. She's right on.

and I'm scared to read the last thing.

and I want to read that parenting book.

Love your suggestions. Always.
charrette said…
I loved that Anne Lamott article too. I'm using that in my art class this week...encouraging to cultivate "time spent in quiet beauty." Amen.
LMShunk said…
thanks for introducing me to Katie a few weeks ago - she's my little sister's age and i can't believe her heart! so so beautifully Jesus.

:-) bless ya.

Popular Posts