Thursday, September 2, 2010

what's around the bend

All the paths of the Lord are stedfast love and faithfulness for those who keep his covenant and his decrees.  Psalm 25:10

I love life.
It only keeps getting better.
When I turned 33 last week I thought, there is no age I would rather be, no stage of life I would rather be living.





Why do I say I love life, and then I duck, like I've just been caught saying something offensive?

Why do I say I love life, and immediately think about martyrs, refugees, people who are suffering for Christ and think that I must not be really following Christ because I should be much more miserable?

Why do I feel the need to doctrinally justify this statement?

Why do I expect any opportunity that sounds appealing to surely be a temptation, but anything that sounds slightly awful is clearly God's will?

Life is hard, but with the exception of High School it doesn't have to be miserable.

Sure, it is difficult and bad things happen and yes, following Christ means hating your life . . . so that you can find life. . .  life that is truly life. . . and that is when life becomes also joyous.  And satisfying.  And juicy and hilarious and good.  Really, really good.  Even when it's heartbreaking.  Even when it's hard.

Because when you are following Christ, you can know what's really lurking round the next bend .

Joy is the gigantic secret of the Christian.
-G.K.Chesterton

(this is going somewhere, I promise) . . . to be continued.

7 comments:

Kelly Langner Sauer said...

looking forward to the rest... you've whetted my appetite. I think these thoughts too.

Kristy said...

Me too! Waiting for part 2!
That Good Part

Fijufic said...

Life is beautiful. Each phase is different. I would say the part you are living is one of the most wonderful...

I am glad to see you recognize it.

Cheers,

Bobby

ali said...

jess, i still love your blog. i almost blogged about this same idea, but now that school has started, who even knows what will happen to my blog. i've almost blogged a lot lately :) anyway. keep it up.

ShortyRobs said...

Legalism rears its ugly head in my life all too often- what an awesome reminder of the fruits that we are called to display. True joy is rarely seen today- can't wait for part two :)

~beautyandjoy~ said...

I LOVE this post! I am cheering you on! :) (As one who has had to duck, just know I am on the cheering side!)

charrette said...

Great post! Hooray for daring to be joyful.

And here's some back-up for you:

"Now was not this exceeding joy? Behold, this is joy which none receiveth save it be the truly penitent and humble seeker of happiness." Alma 27:18