Tuesday, November 9, 2010

oh how I wish I had a picture
of the moment I passed
today
at five til noon
when the
november sun
was spilling
gaudily
all over
the busy 
village street
and near the street
beside a dark horse
was an amish man
simple grey clothes
a scandalously too-long grey beard
and downright liberal 
jolly 
potbelly
his chest was puffed out
and head thrust back 
in the way of deep laughter
or deep happiness
as he was blowing up
a ridiculously large
pink
balloon

I do not know why the amish man
with a beard too long
was standing near the street
beside his horse
at five til noon
today
so glad to be
blowing up an
oversized 
pink 
balloon
there were no children
no party
only a busy street
one amish man
a dark horse
an excessive autumn day

I wanted to stop to see
what happened next
if the balloon would burst
or his laughter
and would the whole street
suddenly be
laughing
together
or would he simply take off
be carried away 
into the opulent
autumn
on a
joyful
pink
balloon 
and so 
the whole way home 

 I watched the sky
for pink balloons
 and floating
amishmen



10 comments:

Fijufic said...

In that moment he may have been happy.

Ruth said...

What a fabulous mental picture! I will be looking for floating Amishmen and pink balloons in my neighborhood this afternoon, too!

Kait Palmer said...

This just made my day!

Flower Patch Farmgirl said...

I totally have a crush on this.

ali said...

i love this. :)

charrette said...

Jess, this is a painting!

--with just the right amount of light, color, detail and contrast.

LOVE!

SW said...

I just love your poem, and it makes me miss the wonderful times we had together in Haiti. Thanks for posting.

Steve

Kristy@ThatGoodPart said...

I love this! You are gifted at using words to paint a picture. I could totally see him as I read this!

Misha Leigh. said...

Love this!!

Rich said...

Delightful! :)