Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Seasonal ADD and a bit of an update

First of all, somebody out there may be wondering what is happening with our move to Cleveland- or, even if you weren't wondering, here's an updatet:

One day a few weeks into this process I showed our house twice (we are trying to sell on our own without a realtor) and had two people say they want to buy it.  In one day.  For our asking price, both.

I think I sent a text to Jim that day that said something like, "Sold the house twice today.  Feelin pretty darn cool."  

Well now if you ever try to sell a house in this economy and then think you have, my advice is that you don't get all cocky about it because it really can't be that easy.  To make a long story short we are still waiting for the house to officially sell.  Honestly, I am happy to be here with friends and family and in our cozy home for the holidays rather than unpacking boxes, so I am fine with waiting a little longer to move.

Moving on . . .


Oh, there are just too many ways to celebrate Christmas.  I am trying (really, really trying) to slow down and enjoy the season, and be intentional about everything I choose to do or don't do this year.

Last week, we decorated.  I wanted to have everything done by Wednesday, and I was glad I started early on Monday because it took me three full days to do it all.  And if you saw my tree you would know how pathetic it is that it took me that long.  Let's just say I had a lot of "help" with the decorating which caused it to be a three day process rather than a thirty minute one like it should have been.  I love having an excuse to put candles in the windows and corners lit up by sparkly lights.  And those middle of the night playdates are slightly more magical when aglow with the lights on the tree.

I have wanted for years to put together a Jesse tree and have never followed through.  This year, Ann has blessed the world with a free Jesse Tree Advent Devotional.  Oh I love this woman.  I am so looking forward to doing this this year.

I have also begun to read again Madeleine L'Engle's Bright Evening Star, one of my favorite Christmas books.


Gifts.  I think I'll write a whole post on what I think about gift-giving and what gifts I am giving this year (and it's probably not what you think).  

While on the subject, Kristen at Rage Against the Minivan has a great list of gifts that give back.

What would it look like if we put down, closed down, shut off, and put away the screens during this season?  
The Advent season is a time of reflection and finding beauty in the waiting.  I am looking forward to slowing down to think about and celebrate the Mystery of Christmas- God With Us!  

Peace to you . . .

7 comments:

nana said...

We have decided on a children only gift giving this year. With John in the hospital all we really want is for him to be healing and home with us. The babies are another story. When I spend time with them it is a gift and it lifts my spirits. Prayers are keeping all of us going and I believe we all know the true gift of Christmas.

Shannon said...

I just downloaded the Jesse Tree Devotional, printed a copy, had it bound and am finishing the ornaments tomorrow. I love it and have been looking for something like that! Now I need to check out Bright Evening Star! :)

Shannon said...

I just downloaded the Jesse Tree Devotional, printed a copy, had it bound and am finishing the ornaments tomorrow. I love it and have been looking for something like that! Now I need to check out Bright Evening Star! :)

Fijufic said...

Now all you have to do is make sure the family who can get the financing will qualify...

May the Spirit of Christmas be with you and your family.

Bobby

charrette said...

Oh, I do hope your house sells quickly! Such stress for the holidays.

I downloaded the Jesse Tree. Thank you for the link. We began our advent on Monday night and this fits right into our plans.

Misha Leigh. said...

Can you believe I have never read that book - thank you so so much for mentioning it! : )

My folks are selling their house right now, too - such stress. You have my compassion and admiration. Hang in there!

Misha Leigh. said...

{Thank you for your comment. : ) }

I had to pop back over real quick and tell you I tried to buy that book today and the prices on amazon were crazy. I was able to find a copy at my library, though, and I am so beyond excited to take it on a upcoming 26 hours of plane travel! thank you again fellow-L'Engle- lover!