Quick Takes-1/14


1.

I took the For Sale sign out of our yard yesterday and we are supposed to sign papers with a buyer tomorrow, a sweet young family with children.  I am so happy that there will be kids to enjoy the Biggest Loser swingset.  (We think it's actually gonna sell this time- but I haven't started packing yet).

2.
As is my typical approach to change: I wish, I complain, I long for it . . . and then I step up to the ledge and suddenly would like everything to just stay the same, thank-you.

3.

We've been going to swimming lessons on Friday mornings.
This involves three kids: 
fed+dressed+hats+coats+shoes on and in the car
out of the car, out of the hats+coats+shoes+clothes
into the pool
out of the pool
showered (while keeping the baby out of the shower)
dressed+hats+coats+shoes+back in the car.

During the lessons,
one child cries
one simply refuses to get in the pool
one  crawls over wet, dirty floors

I get to sit and talk to my friends for 45 minutes while enjoying (very expensive) babysitting=
worth it.

4.
It has been a cozy, snowy week and I have loved snuggling indoors with only one complaint:
that Mom Guilt that says I should be outdoors playing with my kids in the snow.
Ugh.
I love snow- from the inside.  
I have tried bundling the big girls up and sending them out- sans Mama, but it never works.
So my guilt gets the best of me and I stuff arms and legs into snowsuits and find hats and gloves . . . 
and then I (literally) tackle the baby.
Have you ever tried putting snow pants on a baby?
She hates it- I hate it- 
we are both flopping around on the kitchen floor for at least ten minutes trying to get the darn things on.
Finally, we get outside and what do they want?
To go inside.

Can't we just sip hot cocoa and read books?

5.
Maybe this week we'll stay indoors and try a few of these Ideas to Beat Cabin Fever and Winter Blues.

6.
Speaking of Winter Blues, every year about his time it creeps up on me.  
My blues usually comes in the form of insecurity.  For others it may be jealousy, sadness, anxiety, but I think these are all a form of depression.  
This year I am having a little bit more success at battling it, and though I would like to think that it is because I have finally conquered the Beast, I think that it has more to do with being aware of my potential to fall this time of year, and doing a few things to help myself:
-I have a babysitter two times a week so I can go to an exercise class.
-I plan things to get us out of the house and around friends, at least once a week.
-I read books.
-I try to stay creative: try new recipes, learn something new, do fun things with the girls.
-As much as they wear me out, my kids keep me laughing, keep me healthier, happier, saner.

7.
  I loved this quote from Heidi at Mt. Hope Chronicles:

"If you observe a really happy man you will find him building a boat, writing a symphony, educating his son, growing double dahlias in his garden or looking for dinosaur eggs in the Gobi desert. He will not be searching for happiness as if it were a collar button that has rolled under the radiator. He will not be striving for it as a goal in itself. He will have become aware that he is happy in the course of living life twenty-four crowded hours of the day."

~W. Beran Wolfe

Quick Takes are hosted at Conversion Diary

Comments

Fijufic said…
You sold your house and are moving to another one?

My wife is currently doing a study on breastfeeding in conjunction with the medical school and the local Children's hospital.

Many of us get seasonal affective disorder during the winter. I have to make myself go outside and that generally comes in the form of running or walking the dog.

Swim lessons are essential. Once you start swimming you can discover a whole new world. Surfing, diving and water skis are so much fun.

Cheers buddy,

Bobby
Sarah said…
I found you via conversion diary, and
I love your blog. Especially all of your quotes on the sidebar! :)
Janet said…
That is a really wonderful quote...

Popular Posts