summer drips

Today .  . .

may life be juicy and dripping down your arms~


may you pay no attention to the fruit stains~
refuse to complain about the weather~
turn the air conditioning off~
and turn toward the sun~
let sweat drip down your back~
and be glad.


Today may you live in the season as it passes . . . 


breathe the air,
drink the drink,
taste the fruit,

and resign yourself to the influences of each.*
(Henry David Thoreau)

~~~~~~~~~~~~

This post pretty much sums up my life right now . .. Every. Day.  Today I am trying to turn my chair towards the sun . . . to give extra hugs to the teething toddler who needs me all day long and all night . . . reminding myself that I may only have a few more months of her on my hip, and how sad it will be (and how nice) when I have my left arm back.  

This post is so funny, and so true!  Why having a toddler is like being at a frat party.  (Not that we ever had frat parties at MVNU!)

 be patient with the way God has planned for you to become a very happy, belly-bumping frog. Don’t settle for being a tadpole or a weird half-frog. But don’t be surprised at the weirdness and slowness of the process either. . . . Just stay the course and look. Look, look. There is so much to see. The Bible is inexhaustible. Mainly look there. The other book of God, the unauthoritative one—nature—is also inexhaustible. Look. Look. Look. Beholding the glory of the Lord we are being changed.

Two books:


I guess I enjoy reading about writing as much as I like to write . . . this book is a classic, I copied tons of notes . . .
Writing is 90% listening.  You listen so deeply to the space around you that it fills you, and when you write, it pours out of you.   
Listening is receptivity.  The deeper you can listen, the better you can write. 
If you want to become a good writer,
1. read a lot
2. listen well and deeply
3. write a lot
*and don't think too much.

This read to me like a parable- I would give this book to anyone who's marriage is struggling or who may be considering divorce . . . a very honest story of a couple who gives up on their marriage, and the loss that brings to both them and their children.


*Confession: I love summer.  Love it love it love it- and I was commenting to Jim about what a big deal everyone makes about summer heat, as though it's never been hot before, and don't you think American's are growing increasingly wimpier? . . . He asked if I will be saying that in the middle of a Cleveland winter.  Um, no.  :-}

Comments

Fijufic said…
Great post.

I could sure use a drippy tomato right about now...

Glad you are enjoying your summer...

Bobby
Elizabeth said…
I enjoyed this post Jess.

It always makes me smile to see glimpses of you and Jim in your girls.

"Live in the season as it passes"... so beautiful and true.

Popular Posts