Saturday, July 9, 2011

three things to do today

1. Be Inspired

 If you only read one book this summer . . . or this year . . . let it be Donald Miller's A Million Miles in a Thousand Years.  I realize that I am a little late to the party here, but it is one of the best books I have read! (I feel like I say that a lot . . . but really).  In typical Miller fashion, it is laugh-out-loud funny, slightly irreverent and quirky, but powerful too, and very relevant to anyone wanting to live a good story.
He said it's that nagging feeling that life could be magical; it could be special if we were only willing to take a few risks.
I think this is when most people give up their stories.  They come out of college wanting to change the world, wanting to get married, wanting to have kids and change the way people buy office supplies.  But they get into the middle and discover it was harder than they thought.  They can't see the distant shore anymore, and they wonder if their paddling is moving them forward. . . They take it out on their spouses, and they go looking for an easier story.
We have to force ourselves to create these scenes.  We have to get up off the couch and turn the television off, we have to blow up the inner-tubes and head to the river.  We have to write the poem and deliver it in person.  We have to pull the car off the road and hike to the top of the hill.  We have to put on our suits, we have to dance at weddings.  We have to make altars.

2.  Eat

Our vegetables in our CSA are getting funkier, and I am loving it!  Last night we had roasted Kohlrabi.  I had never tasted this vegetable before . . . everyone approved.

3.  Laugh

Completely unrelated . .. if you are on Twitter you should follow my brother Joe.  I don't spend much time on twitter, but I do read his tweets when I need a laugh.  You really should follow him- unless you are easily offended, then, please, don't.



 Joe Hartzler 


2 comments:

Misha Leigh. said...

I love your writing! Your blog is truly a favourite. : )

Fijufic said...

Great post. Hope you are having a wonderful summer....

Cheers,
Bobby