Wednesday, November 30, 2011

long waiting

We wait.



I find myself drawn to Advent
comforted
the greyness of this season
the hush and still
the echoing steps
empty trees
first plumes of woodsmoke

For it is only this once each year
that we acknowledge our groaning
our emptiness
our occasional disbelief

We are cold
and lonely
and far from home

Only once a year do we lay it all down in wonder-
the staggering weight
 of waiting
and the blazing star
the desperate ache
of hope

I cling to the long waiting of Advent
the long wishing
 preparing
 courageous expecting
on the darkest nights of the year, waiting, we hang lights.





Linking up today with Ann and the Practice of Preparing.
 

1 comment:

charrette said...

You are so beautiful! I love every single word on this page and the heaviness and hope and holiness it holds.

I love, love, love Advent and all it stands for, all it symbolizes. Without the longing there is no joy.

I also love this quote by Eliza R. Snow: “The Holy Ghost ‘satisfies and fills up every longing of the human heart, and fills up every vacuum. When I am filled with that Spirit, … my soul is satisfied.”

Peace.