Pride and Prejudice



Is it sacrilegious to say that I was not incredibly moved by Jane Austen?

I did enjoy the story, but the happily ever after seemed a little too simple.  I was also surprised by how character-driven her writing is, with a lot of dialogue and light on description or detail.  The 19th Century English aristocratic culture and mating rituals were fascinating, and I definitely stayed up too late waiting for Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy to finally untangle their misunderstanding and fall in love.  But overall this love story didn't move me as Charlottel Bronte's Jane Eyre did.

Pride and Prejudice is the first novel by Jane Austen that I have read, maybe I need to keep trying.  What Austen book should I read next?


As we celebrate Thanksgiving tomorrow I am deeply grateful for God's goodness and faithfulness, His tender mercies, His grace and beauty that fill our lives and the continual rest and peace that He offers.  I cannot imagine life without the Hope that I have in Christ.

Have a blessed Thanksgiving!


Comments

ali said…
Persuasion or Mansfield Park. I loved both.

Popular Posts