Wednesday, January 25, 2012

word of the year: where it begins and ends

(Yes, It is the end of January and I am finally writing about my word for the year.) 


The word I chose for this year is Seed, and my verse is from Exodus 3:5:
"Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy ground."

Last year my word was Plow, and I wrote about some of my favorites and not-so favorites of the year.  The plow theme has stuck with me, but this year I am looking closer, paying attention to what is under the soil, what is growing out of the soil: the bare, the hidden, the essential, the heart of things. A seed is the smallest, most basic part of a plant, but it is what the plant will become.


It begins with my thoughts:
At no time of day or night are we not thinking about something. The only real question is, What is it? What do I choose to ruminate about in the interstices of the day, in the dark quiet of the night? Where does my mind go when there is nowhere specific defined for it to go?
The question is an important one because its answer defines the kind of person we are choosing to become. ..  The fact is that we become what we think about. What we seed in our souls grows in us, forms us, becomes what drives us from moment to moment. 
What we think about during the waking hours of the day is basic to prayer. And prayer is also basic to it. What I put into my soul will shape me.  
Prayer intends to steep me in the thoughts of God, in the sense of the presence of God, in an openness to the will of God, in the likeness of God. To pray is to rivet my mind on the things of God. “As you sweep,” our novice mistress taught us, “pray. Just say any short prayer over and over,” she said. “Eventually it will become part of you.” She forgot to say that eventually you will become it, as well.
And in the same way, I become jealousy. And greed. And lust. And hate. It all depends on what I feed on, what I live on, in my thoughts. What I immerse myself in, down deep inside of me where the soul of a person lies in wait, I will become.
But if I put in the discipline of the presence of God, I will become of God. 
If I put in prayer for my enemies, if I pray to a loving God to make me loving, too, then—however many years it takes — it will happen. Then, like a drop of rain in the midst of a flood, I will become part of the heart of the world.
I must pray to become love.
–from The Breath of the Soul by Joan Chittister (Twenty-Third Publications)   
(I found this quote in a journal entry I wrote in July, and I don't remember where it came from- facebook I think? Mattie Marie or Vi perhaps?)
it ends with the muppets:



I made the mistake of buying kids the Muppets soundtrack for Christmas, and every. blessed. time. we get into the car they all yell at me: Happy Song! Happy Song! And for the love of all that is holy, the only way to survive is to find something theological to ruminate on while listening to that blessed song forty-seven times.
I've got everything that I need. Right in front of me.

It is the muppets yes but it is also the secret to a happy life- I want to believe moment by moment that 
His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.2Peter1:3

I want to choose to believe that right at this moment I have everything I need to do and to be what God is cultivating me to be. Right in front of me. (cue Happy Song).


(More about the in-between in another post!)


In other news today my husband turns Forty!


In other other news I got a haircut last night and apparently I look just like Nancy Pelosi. Which is exactly what I was going for.



1 comment:

Fijufic said...

Lovely post.

The muppets will be a distant memory in the blink of an eye. Enjoy every second of this.

Love,
Bobby