2 links + 2 books

After stepping back from technology and also reading Alone Together by Sherry Turkle, I wrote about stepping carefully back into technology.  Since then I have wondered if maybe my reaction is too strong, that although there is always something lost with new technology there are of course good things gained as well.  Here is an opposite take on social media: Take it and Tweet it at Q Ideas
So really, the question has never been “if” people congregate in digital spaces, but, given the fact of their online location, it’s a question of “how” grace and the gospel will find them there. . .   “By bringing the fullness of our lives to bear in ministry and social media, we bear witness to the fullness of life in God. After all, the real presence here is God’s, and it is through our real and authentic presence in social media that we most clearly and effectively point to God.”  
I suppose we will be always grappling with finding the right balance and relationship to the internet.  I think that the question of what technology is doing to our humanity is an important and ongoing conversation.

Jesus Creed- Saturday (not a book) Review: Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Why would a magazine choose to describe Lisbeth Salander as the “coolest heroine?” What is it about Salander that has fascinated us as a society? What is it about her story that seems to ring so true? . . . You see, in many ways, Lisbeth Salander, as first conceived by Steig Larrsen, represents the next step in the cultural evolution of the female archetype. . .
we also fail to tell a different story! We make sloppy hermeneutical decisions to violate the text and propagate the false idea that Junia was a man. We rarely speak on Huldah. We barely touch on Deborah. In fact, about the only thing we tend to offer is a vision of the “godly wife” from Proverbs 31 – . .. 
The Paris Wife is the fictional perspective of Ernest Hemingway's first wife Hadly.  It was interesting because I knew nothing about Ernest Hemingway's personal life, and this book revealed him and the period of the 1920's artistic subculture in a fascinating light.  The book was also a fun read to me because the author lives in Cleveland and (supposedly) wrote this book at a Starbucks on Cedar that we pass frequently.  This made me want to read more Ernest Hemingway.

The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh

I have a thousand things that I need to do this week, I am so tired and could not wait to go to sleep early last night. . . but this book would not let me put it down until I read that last page in the wee hours this morning.  It's that good.  Intense, moving . .. you will love this book!  Throughout the story is woven the language of flowers, something I had never understood and am inspired now to learn more.  Beautiful book.  Thanks, Jamilyn, for the recommendation!

Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday and the beginning of Lent.  I hope to post later today about some ways our family will be observing Lent with our children, and why.  

Comments

Ruth said…
Thanks for the book recommendations!
ali said…
Both books sound like something I would like. Anything set in the 1920's I tend to like.

I'm the same way, I'm sort of a binge reader. Once I hit a certain point in a book, I can't put it down. :)
keLi said…
Totally fought my husband trying to name our girl Hadley. Will be adding that book to the library cue; I always love knowing what other people are reading!

Popular Posts