tell about it

Tonight I was on my way out the door for a walk and paused to wave to the girls just as the sun was setting through the window in the bedroom.  The room was lit pink, and their bodies were caught center-stage, god-like, awash in the glow of a holy moment.

But it was just a sunset.  Just a moment, nothing holy, really.



******
Last night Jim and I and our friends Jo and Larry got to hear Dr. Abraham Verghese speak at Playhouse Square, and he was fantastic.  He is a physician, professor, and author, his most recent Cutting for Stone which I reviewed here


Verghese spoke about the practice of medicine in a way so awash in tenderness and beauty that even a non-scientific minded person like me found it fascinating.  He drew us to the power of touch, of time and respect given to a patient.  I kept thinking how inspiring is a passionately compassionate person. He has given his life to noticing the sacredness and beauty of the human body.  I felt called to love.


*******
Today Rachel Held Evans posted the Fifteen Reasons She Returned to The Church, after her post yesterday, Fifteen Reasons I Left Church.  I could relate to many of her reasons, on both lists.  


On her list of reasons she returned, two that stood out to me were #4 and #10, Anne Lamott and Madeleine L'Engle. These two women would certainly be on a list I would write, as well.  


One of the first posts I wrote on this blog was a tribute to Madeleine L'Engle, and how she came (or was it Mrs. Whatsit?) into my home as a ray of light during a particularly dark time.  


*******
And on my walk tonight I kept thinking about Mrs. Whatsit, about Verghese and L'Engle and Lamott, people who call me to love and tenderness, to hope and wonder, back to faith.  How thankful I am for them, how much more alive I am because of their way of looking at life, how glad I am that they told about it. 


And what if everything matters, what if every moment of life is holy, awash in pink, and it is my choice moment by moment to see or not to see.


I am reading in the book of Leviticus, and today this verse lit up:
5:1 “‘If anyone sins because they do not speak up when they hear a public charge to testify regarding something they have seen or learned about, they will be held responsible.


So I realize we no longer take our instructions for living from the book of Leviticus, but what if it were a sin, not to tell about what you have seen or learned?  


It makes me think of another ray of light, Mary Oliver:  
"Instructions for living a life.
Pay attention.
Be amazed.
Tell about it." 

Comments

Brandee Shafer said…
Girl, you've got a way with this blogging thing.
Fijufic said…
You know what is sad about medicine from a physician standpoint is that most doctors are driven by volume and time. They no longer have time for their clients.

It is called the RVU system.
Jo@Mylestones said…
Every time I read here I nod my head the whole way through. Yes to being astonished. Yes to telling about it. Yes to everything!

Popular Posts