Tuesday, May 22, 2012

how to hope and what to hope for

"The big question is how to hope and what to hope for."

I have been thinking about this quote by May Sarton (from her book, Journal of a Solitude).  It is the big question, isn't it?  We naturally hope for healthy children, a happy marriage, fulfilling career, honest friendships, enough money to not have to worry . . . And when it all falls apart, we think that it must be a terrible mistake, a problem to be fixed or difficulty from which to flee?

I read this quote (found at study in brown), and it kept knocking against the May Sarton quote in my brain all week:

We are at Jesus’ disposal. If he wants you to be sick in bed, if he wants you to proclaim His work in the street, if he wants you to clean the toilets all day, that’s alright, everything is alright. We must say, “I belong to you. You can do whatever you like.” And this … is our strength, and this is the joy of the Lord.
~ Mother Theresa


Maybe the way to truly live your one wild and precious life will look completely different than what we think we hope for.   Maybe I am only beginning to learn how to hope.

2 comments:

Jenny P. said...

Love this post Jessica. I remember my Mom telling a story about a moment when someone called and asked for help when she was in the middle of a project that she considered important. She begrudgingly agreed to help, then muttered under her breath, "My life is not my own!"

And then, as if she heard God speak directly, she felt in her heart the words, "NOW you finally get it..."

Because really, our lives don't belong to us. But oh, the reward when we willingly turn our lives over to God. This is one of my favorite quotes by Ezra Taft Benson:

"Yes, men and women who turn their lives over to God will find out that he can make a lot more out of their lives than they can. He will deepen their joys, expand their vision, quicken their minds, strengthen their muscles, lift their spirits, multiply their blessings, increase their opportunities, comfort their souls, raise up friends, and pour out peace. Whoever will lose his life to God will find he has eternal life."

(I suddenly had a dejavu moment feeling as if I've shared this quote before. If it was here, um... sorry for being redundant. :))

Jessica said...

I love that quote Jenny! Thank-you for the comment- and no, you've not shared it here before :-)