love one another: art + links


Another very simple painting that we did together recently. 
I printed out "love one another" in a large font 
(I don't remember what size?),
cut-out the letters
(imperfectly- we aren't going for perfection here),
and taped them to the canvas.
I have also done this with contact paper, which sticks better but is difficult to pull the backing off.
We painted the entire canvas in whatever shades of blue we liked,
not worrying too much if we smudged under the letters.  
After the paint was dry we pulled the letters off, revealing the white underneath.
Someday this will be part of a collage in the girls' bedroom,
for now it hangs out on our craft shelf.


+ two great posts:

What if the reason there are television screens in every godforsaken corner of the U.S., and rampant alcoholism in Russia, and endless electronic distraction in Japan, is because the average man and woman need something, anything, to tamp the intensity of bearing a soul in this soul-crushing age?What if we writers are able to tell stories of hurt and joy only because something in us is dulled enough to look them full in the face?
Enough: or why we should all be laughing hysterically in the magazine aisle by Rachel Held Evans
 But the way I see it, TIME gave us a something of a gift. By stripping that cover of all pretense, it revealed in plain language the lie behind so much of the media’s messages for women: If you aren’t a sexy, put-together, powerful, super-mom, who breastfeeds her kids until they’re four while baking apple pies, making crayon art, and investing in a successful career,  then you’re a failure. You will always fall short. You will never be enough.  Such an idea is so absurd, it should elicit laughter, not groans.  It’s like millionized lashes and fortified fruit science—too stupid to take seriously!
And yet a small part of us believes it.
Why?This whole idea of the “ideal woman” is one reason I decided to take on my year of biblical womanhood project.  I hated how well-intentioned pastors and leaders were taking the Bible I loved so much and turning into yet another magazine cover that asks:  “Are you biblical enough?”



Comments

camilla said…
I appreciate that you seem to bring out paints all the time for your girls. I think you are developing a fearlessness with art that can be so hard to achieve if the desire to create is nurtured later in life. I didn't start to create until high school and I am a bit afraid every single time I sit down with the hopes of creating. Afraid it won't live up to my hopes for it. (Partly that is just who I am, but I think starting earlier can help replace fear with excitement.)

The gift you are giving your girls is something I should be striving to give my kids too.
Janet said…
I agree with Camilla. I tend to avoid "messy" crafts, given that we make such a mess around here without even trying before the crafting begins. I wonder what this says about my attitude toward other "messy" things.

Thanks for the biblical womenhood link -- totally new to me.
Sally said…
You guys make some fun art!

Thanks for the links. I enjoyed Rachel's post and I should probably bookmark her site.
tonia said…
This very thing is on the project list for the month. I've got three canvases and a pile of good quotes, waiting for the inspiration to strike. Yours is wonderful!

Popular Posts