Friday, July 20, 2012

random Friday


I spent the morning trying on my old prom and bridesmaid dresses in the chest of dress-up clothes for the girls.  Proof that even our poorest choices can prove useful eventually.

Also this week Jim drove home in a sweet new minivan . . . and there was much rejoicing.  Oh, we tried to avoid the minivan but alas, it is time.

Here's some of what I've been reading this week . . .
In one of his dialogues, Plato talks of all learning as remembering.  The chief job of the teacher is to help us to remember all that we have forgotten.  This fits in well with Jung's concept of racial memory, his belief that when we are enabled to dip into the intuitive, subconscious self, we remember more than we know.  One of the great sorrows which came to human beings when Adam and Eve left the Garden was the loss of memory, memory of all that God's children are meant to be.  -Walking on Water, Madeleine L'Engle
Links
Shane Claiborne's facebook status today:
Man, my heart is breaking from the violence infecting our world like a plague. All the folks killed in Colorado this morning in the shooting with weapons that should not even exist (these are not hunting rifles). 
Then I saw the cover story of Time magazine -- "One a Day" -- showing that soldier suicides are up to one per day, surpassing the number of soldiers that die in combat. The US military budget is still rising -- over 20,000 dollars a second, over 1 million dollars a minute spent on war.

Then -- more violence in Iraq and Afghanistan, and Syria, and the bus attack in Bulgaria. There is another way, if only we have courage and imagination. The new issue of conspire takes on exactly that -- VIOLENCE -- there could be no more timely moment. 

Then -- more violence in Iraq and Afghanistan, and Syria, and the bus attack in Bulgaria. There is another way, if only we have courage and imagination. The new issue of conspire takes on exactly that -- VIOLENCE -- there could be no more timely moment. 

I loved this Billboards post at Mount Hope Chronicles, about living a good story and do that thing . ..



I could so relate to the frustration and helpless feeling Sarah Bessey describes, In Which It's Business as Usual

 What do I know of real relationships with the suffering? I feel like a spoiled rich well-fed well-loved Canadian, far removed from my sisters and brothers in poverty, in despair, I feel guilty, I do. Am I doing enough with my money and my time? Am I spending my life in a way that reflects God’s heart for humanity, his nearness to the suffering, the widows, the orphans, the small ones, the least of these?
And then I want to kick myself for thinking of another human being as ‘least of these’ – how colonial and smug can one woman be?

Why I Love My Organic Church at Deeper Story . . .
We rely on 1Corinthians 14:26 as our map. When you come together, each of you has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. Everything must be done so that the church may be built up.

Interesting . .. Thomas Kinkaid, Holbein, and icons
 In my first essay, I suggested that Kinkade's quaint and nostalgic images, as pleasant as they seem to be, are dangerous, offering a comfortable world that silences the two words with which God speaks to us (law and gospel). These images seem to say, the world isn't so bad, faith isn't so hard, grace therefore not so desperately sought. Following Michael Horton, Kinkade's desire to depict a world before the fall is Christ-less Christianity in paint.
I would like to go even further and suggest that it was Kinkade's work that killed him.
Fifty Shades of Complementarians at Practical Theology for Women . . . I always love what I find here, and once again I found her response to this week's sex controversy spot on:
 If conservatives don't correct themselves (and quickly) on the issue of Genesis 3:16, they will continue to step in similar piles of manure until the movement is so undermined they have totally lost any audience.   If you believe that the woman wants to control her husband, the interpretation of Gen. 3:16 that Susan Foh first promoted in 1975 as a reaction against feminism, then turning her over in bed and gaining back control seems to be beating back the curse. In reality, man's ability to do that very thing (and women's desire for it as evidenced in 50 Shades of Grey) IS the curse. And there's nothing redemptive in it.  Every woman who yells “rape” and flees sexual bondage, even in marriage, is defying the curse.
Gen. 3:16 of course transcends sex. The curse in Gen 3:16 is that women have a strong longing that they mistakenly aim at their husbands (which should be aimed at God).
Books

A Silence of Mockingbirds by Karen Zacharias

A heartbreaking memoir of the torture and murder of a four year old girl.  I could hardly bear to read it, and yet I couldn't put it down, the entire book you are shaking your head wondering How could this happen???  The author is a journalist, and a close friend of the family, and so the book is both thoroughly researched and highly readable, and achingly poignant.  It was recommended to me by a friend, and I am glad that I read it as it has helped to make me that much more aware of the reality of child abuse happening all around us, how to recognize the signs, and the fact that we can never be too vigilant or over-protective of our children.



By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept, a novel of forgiveness by Paulo Coelho

Reviews describe this book as poetic and almost dreamlike, and I agree.  It was a little difficult to get used to his writing style but it grew on me and I did in the end like the story and some of the spiritual ideas he wanted to communicate were thought-provoking.  I had a hard time becoming attached to the characters.

This is the love story of two people who reunite after eleven years; the woman now strong and independent and the man now a charismatic spiritual leader.  As they journey together over the course of several days they are forced to examine their own feelings and spiritual calling, the mystery of God and love.

Happy Friday!  
Wishing you a soft place to land this weekend . . .


No comments: