Sunday, August 19, 2012

Naptime Sunday

Naptime Sunday 3
Remembering Summer


Today during naptime I started this painting and I am calling it done.  I like it.

As I painted I kept telling myself to remember when to stop.  I have plenty of good paintings buried beneath touch-ups, fixes, and leftover paint that seemed immoral to let dry on the pallet.

The hardest part of making art isn't making art.  First is getting started, and second is knowing when to stop.

The most exquisite art stops right at the edge of beautiful or sentimental or complete.  So, too, the art of living.

It is nearly impossible to know when to stop.  I struggle with this constantly because I want to do everything but I can't.  When is life perfectly unfinished, perfectly left undone?  At what point is life both beautifully exhausting and wonderfully restful and precisely filled up and poured out?

I do not usually know when to stop but I am trying to learn to leave things a little unfinished, a little more vibrant.  I am trying to learn when to let the extra paint dry.

As we begin our year of homeschool tomorrow I need to remember this more than ever.

Two fabulous posts on this subject this week:

Sarah Bessey with Start Small, Start with Sabbath at SheLoves Magazine.  Love every word of this post.
You can mutli-task like a mama octopus, and you can rise early after going to bed (too) late. You can pull down deep to your prairie-kid work ethic, top it off with some good old Protestant fear of idle hands, a side of the evangelical hero complex. You can fill your life with “should” and “ought to” and “must” and make colour-coded lists, download a few iPhone apps for productivity. You can put your tinies to bed, saying “no” to their requests for another story, another song, another snuggle, because, darling, can’t you see? Mama has so much work to do.
And "Martha Martha" by D.L.Mayfield at Rachel Held Evans
I do find comfort in this: Jesus doesn’t shame you. He calls you by name, twice (“Martha, Martha”, the first time cutting through your heart, the second time healing it). He gets to the root of all your existential angst, and he shows that there is no need for the amount of space you carve out for anxiety, worry, righteous indignation. 

1 comment:

Tinbugs said...

I like your painting I think it turned out very nicely also.