Saturday Soup


This week we celebrated with seven candles and a new fish named Gilda.  We are so proud of our sweet Sami Rosa. She has a kind heart and a sweet spirit, she is smart and more responsible than a seven year old probably should be (if anything happens to me I have no worries, Sam's in charge).


Next week it's five candles for our charming and sassy, cuddly and dramatic and joyful Anna Joy.  We are indeed so unspeakably blessed and humbly grateful for the amazing little lives that have been entrusted to us.


So many good things in Blogland this week, I couldn't wait to share . . .

Two Different Spirits in the Church Or, Should We Abandon Those Who Disagree With Us? by Donald Miller
Being right feels good. But let’s not fall for it. If we do, we are just like every other fighting faction in humanity. We are no different.

18 Signs You Move A Lot at Small Notebook.  I do all of these!

Homosexuality and the Church: Finding a Third Way by Greg Boyd. 
For instance, there are thousands of verses in the Bible denouncing idolatry (which would include greed, gluttony and anything else that you go to for worth and security other than God). By contrast, there are three verses in the Old Testament and three verses in the New that mention same-gender sexual activity. Yet, people guilty of the former sins are embraced without question in our churches, while people guilty of the latter sins tend to be excluded. What’s wrong with this picture?

One of the most fascinating aspects of Jesus’ ministry is that when people tried to force him to weigh in on either-or issues, he always managed to point out a third alternative —  the kingdom alternative. 



theology of the kitchen table:  I do my best theology around a table.
I invite people over and give them a place to sit. I pour wine. I offer them homemade bread. I use my hands. I whisper again and again the words of Christ: For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them, and I point out that He’s here, sitting with us, and that He is made known somewhere between the broken bread, the poured wine, the things debated with kindness and charity.

Last week at church we sang, "kindle in us love's compassion so that everyone may see in our fellowship the promise of a new humanity."  It brought tears to my eyes to think that this- THIS!- our little fellowship of believers, Christ's church, is God's plan for a new humanity.  It was never about politics.  

(If only we as believers would apply as much scrutiny to ourselves as we do to anyone who votes different than us.)
Enjoy a cozy Saturday, friends! 




Comments

Popular Posts