Sunday, March 10, 2013

and then the sun shone



Homeschooling as an Introvert: the blessings and challenges

Why can't learning look like this?: FIMBY- love this

 In fact, the learning I do for me is a key piece of the interest-led, lifelong learning homeschool philosophy. How can it not be? How do we teach our children that learning is an ongoing process, something that they will apply themselves to their whole lives, if we aren't actively engaged in learning something?

Be sure to check-out my friend Jo's new blog, All Seven Seas, as they prepare to move to Alaska!


Do I have enough Christian in me to make it through motherhood?: Emily Weirga

One day, we will have time, again. To read, to reflect, to meditate. And all we'll do is sit there with the books open on our laps missing our children. Missing the way they used to fill our laps and spill our coffee.

Reconstructing the Bridge Metaphor: Deeper Story

You choose this. You choose Jesus because you believe that this whole, wild thing is true. And then you spend the rest of your life clinging to him. You hang on for dear life, because you are aware – for the first time ever maybe – that you are suspended over the bottomless void of your own selfishness, your own hate, your own broken heart. That the only thing steady here is this cross.

Clean Eating 101 : the Gracious Pantry


Focus: I have a lot of trouble focusing and have been trying, with some success, to use the Pomodoro technique. This seems to work for my personality and my season of life. It is simply twenty-five minutes of intense work followed by five minute breaks. I was glad to find this focusbooster app from my friend Ryan's blog.


Ruth posted this quote on facebook a few days ago and I think it so true:


You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read. It was books that taught me that the things that tormented me most were the very things that connected me with all the people who were alive, or who had ever been alive." -James Baldwin

I thought this was beautiful:
Marina Abramovic and Ulay started an intense love story in the 70s, performing art out of the van they lived in. When they felt the relationship had run its course, they decided to walk the Great Wall of China, each from one end, meeting for one last big hug in the middle and never seeing each other again.
At her 2010 MoMa retrospective Marina performed ‘The Artist Is Present’ as part of the show, where she shared a minute of silence with each stranger who sat in front of her. Ulay arrived without her knowing and this is what happened.



Finally, Happy Birthday tomorrow sweet Josie Bloom!


2 comments:

ali said...

I love the link about homeschooling as an introvert. I also just finished the Susan Cain book and have been planning to blog about but of course I'm not focused enough to.do that. :)

I read it because through out my whole student teaching experience i felt like all the ways I had been taught to teach were so geared toward interaction and groups and collaboration etc. And I felt like I was cheating my quieter kids out of something . I felt like I was devaluing their gifts. Even when I brought it up to colleagues they would say "oh that's just so and so, they need to learn to be more outgoing." And I hated that answer and I really worked to create pockets of time and projects that were counter everything I had learned. I made quiet times and times for individual work and one on one conferencing. I wondered if it was the right thing. After reading Quiet, I'm sure it was. Anyway, I loved the link and I'll try to save the rest for an actual blog post. :) thanks for writing.

Jessica Stock said...

Ali I hope you write a blog post about this. I think you are right on. I remember dreading those group projects too.