Sunday, March 3, 2013

February Reads

Hello, Blog, it's been a while ...


In February I chose to Pay Attention to the kids.

I always pay a lot of attention to my kids, of course, but every so often I experience a phase when I find myself pulling every parenting book off the shelf to re-read because it I am sure I don't have a clue what I am doing. February was one of those phases. On vacation and since we've been back I have been paying extra attention to the kids and hardly any attention to very much else. It seems to be helping.

And I am reading a bit.

The Life of the Beloved by Henri Nouwen

I loved this book. There is so much joy and comfort in these pages. I am going to read it at least once more during Lent.

A Year of Biblical Womanhood by Rachel Held Evans

I read this book with my friend Sally and we both loved it. I follow Evan's blog and even if I don't agree with every conclusion, I love, love how she researches and embraces tough questions. There were times while reading the book when I wanted to weep with relief or frustration from some of the familiar things I have accepted without really considering other angles. I appreciated her tongue-in-cheek approach and the humor that flows through her writing, but also the sense of reverence for Scripture and the deeper meaning she concludes from each of her somewhat farcical experiments with "Biblical Womanhood." I am looking forward to reading her first book, Evolving in Monkeytown.

The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende

This is an amazing, engrossing novel spanning three generations of the Trueba family, an influential family in 20th century Chili. I couldn't put the book down for the way that the story unfolds, and also an excellent lesson on Chilean history which I knew nothing about. I am looking forward to reading more of Isabel Allende.

The Three Martini Playdate by Christie Mellor

I was desperate for a little comic relief in parenting this month, and this was a quick and laughable read. Even though it felt a little judgmental, I did appreciate some of the no-nonsense parenting advice.
...The point is, people have been bearing and raising live young since the beginning of time, which is why we all are here, after all. Yes, each tiny baby is a miracle and yes, they are, in fact, wee and precious, but so were you at that age, and now look at yourself. 
I happened to pick this book up when I was picking up a daughter from a playdate, at one of Cleveland's Little Free Libraries. These mini libraries are placed on street corners or in yards, stocked with books free for the taking. Of course I absolutely love this idea, and am dying to put one in our yard.

1 comment:

LisaM said...

I love Henri Nouwen as well. Thanks for sharing!