Sunday Soup: rain and rainbows


School
It was one of those weeks when the air is too heavy and the light oppresses like cathedral tunes and we are all a bit slow and fumbling. We were weary of the lessons, weary of the weather, restless and bored. The cure, of course, is books. And I remembered why we are doing this anyway, if not to enjoy the process, and finally on Friday we curled on the couch and did nothing but read until the atmosphere shifted.

Brennan Manning
This week we learned that Brennan Manning died. I can't help but offer my own story of the influence of Brennan Manning. It was my third year of college, on a dark spring Saturday much like the dark days we have been having here in the northeast, when I sat in my dark college apartment and read Abba's Child. It had been a dark year, and a deep-rooted splinter of insecurity was working it's way out of my life that year. It was a life-changing afternoon as I sat and soaked in what it means to belong to Abba. Thank-you, Brennan Manning.

Poetry
April is National Poetry Month and I thought I would share a few poetry resources. I enjoy receiving a poem a day from The Writer's Almanac, Poets.org, and Your Daily Poem. Ruth posts a lot of good poetry and is posting a poem a day as well as a progressive poem in the month of April.

This year I bought the collection she walks in beauty by Caroline Kennedy. I really love this book. Here is a poem that seems fitting now:

Grown-up
Edna St.Vincent Millay

Was it for this I uttered prayers,
And sobbed and cursed and kicked the stairs,
That now, domestic as a plate,
I should retire at half-past eight?

Link:
On Creativity: a letter to my children
Oh. This is so lovely.

Books:

Incendiary: Chris Cleave
Chris Cleave definitely can write a book I can't put down, but oh, the tragedies, I can hardly bear it. Incendiary takes place in London after a fictional act of terror similar to our 9-11. The story is narrated by an unnamed mother who loses her son and husband in the bombing. Raw but humorous, it was similar to Little Bee in that I couldn't put it down, and similarly gut-wrenching. I really liked the book until the last few chapters which became increasingly despairing.

Daring Greatly : How the courage to be vulnerable transforms the way we live, love, parent, and lead: Brene Brown
I loved this book and the only thing I didn't like about it was that I wished I were reading it in a group to have people to discuss it with. Every single person could benefit from this book. And I loved Brene Brown's casual, personal style of writing which is so relatable, I felt like I was having a conversation with a really wise, comfortable laid-back friend.

For a good taste of what the book is about check out her talk, The Power of Vulnerability on Ted Talks. And here is her blog.



----------

----------------
This week at a library activity I sat and realized that I have completely neglected every type of toddler activity with Josie. We never missed a story hour with the older two. Oh the mother guilt is endless . .. (and she is clearly holding it against me- ha)


May you find rainbows after your storm this week . ..



Comments

Popular Posts