soup: May 11


It was a sober week in Cleveland. I cannot stop thinking about the three women found alive after a decade. (Read news about it here). Once again we are faced with the depth of evil in our world, and the goodwill of most, and the survival of the human spirit.

This column about Amanda Berry's now deceased mother made me weep.

I have nothing more to add to the conversation, except for this: Pray.

Nighttime is the time of day when our anxieties are heightened and fears seem the most real. Often at night my imagination will race and many nights it is with thoughts of prisoners. We know that there are prisoners held in nightmarish conditions all over the world, and as I would pray for prisoners everywhere the thought would occur to me of the possibility that even within my own radius, there are people being held prisoner. I believe the Holy Spirit was prompting me to pray for these women, maybe others.

It was a reminder to me that our random thoughts or intuition are more than just that: that the Holy Spirit prompts us to pray even when we do not know what to pray for.

Other links this week:

Bookish I just discovered this site, and I love it- a way to choose your next book to read. This will be helpful as I am in a reading slump- I have started and decided not to finish my past four books. (Any book suggestions?)

Poetry as Therapy: Curator Magazine

Have you seen this?


This is water video


What a week of groceries looks like around the world

Have American Parents Got It All Backwards?: Huffington Post

Homeschool: This week we got to enjoy a Concert for Kids from the Akron Symphony. So wonderful!

Tomorrow is Mother's Day and I never want to forget that this can be a painful day for so many, for many reasons, my heart will be with them tomorrow.

Thank-you, Sam, Annie, and Josie, for making this mom's life so sweet. I am so grateful.


Thought:
Our freedom to be creators is far less limited than some people would think.One of the many sad results of the Industrial Revolution was that we came to depend more than ever on the intellect, and to ignore the intuition with its symbolic thinking.  The creator, and the mystic, have tended more towards Platonism than Aristotelianism, and to be willing to accept Plato's "divine madness," with its four aspects of prophecy, healing, artistic creativity, and love. 
These divine madnesses have been nearly lost in this century, and so we've lived almost entirely in the pragmatic, Cartesian world.  I wonder if Descartes knew what he was doing when he wrote his famous I think, therefore I am, and subsequently, if not consequently, we began even more than before to equate ourselves with our conscious minds. . . if we insist on intellectual control we have to let go our archaic understanding and our high creativity, because keeping them means going along with all kinds of things we can't control.  
And yet, ultimately, our underwater, intuitive selves are never really incompatible with the above water, intellectual part of our wholeness.  Part of Jesus' freedom came from the radical view of time which allowed him to speak with Moses and Elijah simultaneously, thus bursting through the limitations of time accepted by the intellect.  Yet what he did is not at all inconsistent with what contemporary astrophysicists are discovering about the nature of time.  Secularists have long tended to laugh away the story of "Sun, stand thou still upon Gibeon," but according to some new research, it now seems as though something actually did happen to the physical world at that time; the earch may have shifted slightly on its axis, and time would have been affected, and the sun for a moment may indeed have stood still.  
For the astrophysicist as for the saint, chronos and kairos converge.  Robert Jastrow in his book, God and the Astonomers talks about the astronomers, after all their questions, struggling up to a mountain peak, and finding the theologians already there. 
-Madeleine L'Engle, Walking on Water, 90-92

Comments

Popular Posts