June 28

What is the only thing better than a visit from an old friend? A visit with another old friend. And another old friend, all in one week. And now I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of another old (Haiti) friend and her family for the weekend.

It is the part of summer I look forward to most. This summer it seems that an entire year's worth of social activity is taking place in about six weeks. I am loving it. I keep reminding myself of the times this winter when we didn't leave the house for days. This is so much better. 

So not a lot of social media has been happening lately, and has been replaced by the very best thing: real people.

This is our summer: 

in the van out of the van in the van out of the van in the van out of the van . ..

fall asleep on your chips.
(not that we would ever eat in the van ahem)

Followed by a lot of this:


Summer is good good good.

I would really like to blog one of these days about friends and how fabulously different we all are and why I need them and how much I learn from these precious people . . . I am going to blog about that some day. Maybe at the end of the summer, as I am beginning another year of isolation homeschool. 

(you know I'm joking, I love homeschool and it is not at all isolating).

I did manage to finish one book:



Mr Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore

First, this is a really fun book. One of the challenges of writing contemporary fiction (I am finding), is how to incorporate technology in a way that is believable, relatable, human, and that won't seem out of date in a few years. No one can predict what or how we will be interacting with technology even just a few years for now, and how does one write a novel that rests firmly in an age that is changing so rapidly? The author Robin Sloan has taken this head-on with a story described as a "technocratic" adventure.

My first reaction was that Sloan must be young, in his early twenties, both because of his quirky and total relationship with technology, and because of the way the story moves: quickly, humorously, a little offbeat, with endearing inner dialogue and just a touch of narcissism. Sloan's About page describes himself as "splitting his time between San Francisco and the internet." Clever.

I loved the narrator and the concept of the story- the intersection of old books with new technology, in the form of a mystery complete with secret societies and codes and the quest for the meaning of life. I also felt that the book seemed to have been written very quickly, probably between tweets. The plot was too easily resolved, and the characters a little flat.

However I found myself smiling the whole way through. The bookcover also glows in the dark. Which is just . .. right.

Comments

Cami said…
Visiting with old friends is precious sweet time. So glad you are doing that!

Popular Posts