to restore your faith (soup 6.28)

I have been collecting links for a couple weeks without posting, so here is a download. Plenty of thoughts and words and ideas are collecting, too, this summer beneath the wild blue sky. This is the wonderful thing I am finding this summer- my mind (heh). Life is calmer and there is this new space opening up for ideas and possibilities, new space in my arms this summer, more space to talk and pray and breathe and create and dream. It is good. The full years were good too.



Things I am thankful for this week . ..

A little roadtrip and a night away, Ohio fields and farms and cities, Ohio summers, a good visit with an old friend, a lovely rainy day beneath umbrellas exploring her city (Columbus, Ohio, if I weren't already attached you would make me want to move). Thrifting. Good conversations. Too many books. 3, 5, and 7= such fun + happy ages. People who make me think and books that make me hope. Grace. Grace. Little friends, listening in on all the chatter. Time to write and words when they flow. My husband who makes me laugh. Friends I admire and people giving themselves to follow Christ in a thousand hidden, sacrificing ways. My brother and sis in law coming to stay tonight . . .

On the drive to Columbus I listened to two Tim Keller podcasts. I think these may be my favorite I have ever listened to: Sexuality and Christian Hope, and How to Find the Way.

Books:
The book I read this week is Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison. I began reading this and immediately asked myself how I could dare to even try writing fiction, when works like this exist in the world? Morrison's writing is lyrical, magical, haunting.

Last week I didn't have time to read but feel asleep to The Mad Farmer Poems by Wendell Berry. Simple, provoking, comforting. I am so glad Wendell Berry wrote books.

Links:

21 Pictures that will restore your faith in humanity

Can you be generous and still pay the bills?: Relevant

Ann Voskamp: Ways to Labor and Deliver your Best Life
Breathe in: Lord, I receive.
Breathe out: Lord, I give thanks.

World of Ordinary: RZIM
The parables Jesus told are also richly artistic, theological pauses upon the ordinary. Presented to people who often find themselves beyond the need for stories, whether puffed up with wealth and self-importance, or engorged with religion and knowledge, his stories stop us. He is acutely aware that the religious and the non-religious, the self-assured and the easily distracted often dance around idols of magnitude, diverting their eyes from the ordinary. And yet his very life proclaims the magnitude of the overlooked. The ordinary is precisely the place that God chose to visit—and not as a man of magnitude.

One Small Change: the story sewn into every seam: how to talk evangelical

How to Buy Ethical Fashion on a Budget

. . . We Fill In "Truth Gaps" with Fiction: Donald Miller . .. YES.
For this reason, I’ve become more and more comfortable with this phrase: I don’t know.
I no longer consider this phrase a cop out, either. In fact, I now consider the phraseI don’t know a form of extreme respect for the truth.
Why Christians Should Read More Fiction: Relevant
I could ramble for days about the unexpected joys, benefits and lessons I’ve learned from the novels I’ve read, but for brevity’s sake, I’ll distill it down to two practical ways that reading fiction can benefit Christians: beauty and empathy.



My favorite line from Song of Solomon, as one of the characters is dying: 
"I wish I'd a knowed more people. I would of loved 'em all. 
If I'd a knowed more, I would a loved more.
Oh may we live knowing and loving!

Comments

Popular Posts