And then you do


So how on earth can I bring a child into the world, knowing that such sorrow lies ahead, that it is such a large part of what it means to be human?
I'm not sure. That's my answer: I'm not sure.


One thing about having a baby is that each step of the way you simply cannot imagine loving him any more than you already do, because you are bursting with love, loving as much as you are humanly capable of- and then you do, you love him even more.

― Anne Lamott, Operating Instructions: A Journal of My Son's First Year


(Recollections #8 of 36)
(Recollections of Joy are based on this song by Sara Groves)

Comments

ali said…
Sharing this. I love it. I've had my very first week of teaching in an inner city start up school. Its the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. I've never been more exhausted or stressed. Working 12 plus hour days 7 days a wrek. But on Thursday, we had parent night. Oh, they looked to us with such hope and love. Their eyes and their souls begged us for something better, something good. They love their kids with this kind of huge love and trust and they ask me to be a part of it. Thanks for this. A big reminder of why I'm doing what I'm doing. :)

Popular Posts