recollections of joy

What was it about the day, the evening, why, from some small darkness did despair gather such force- a great weariness that came and and lay heavily over me, a late summer evening, so that I could barely lift my head?

And in the night I woke, and the choice came nudging open the door as a great affectionate labrador, salivating and wagging and urging me again, toward impossibility.

And I chose again to walk this path of life- of hope and beauty and pain and imagination and I chose to keep myself fully alive.

Since that night I have been thinking about this path, how to keep myself on the path, how not to grow old, how not to become tangled in the briars of life or lost wandering down the wide paths of despair.

I turn thirty-six this week. The tipping point, the scale points closer to forty, this journey, life, it goes on, it always does.

My plan is to post thirty-six lovely things.
Lovely things that heal or make us less lonely or more homesick for the place we belong.
Thirty-six recollections of joy. Thirty-six signs of life.
For myself, to remember, should I get lost.


If time were ever to wear you away 
And circumstance should bind me 
If age should bring a dark night on my soul 
If fear and doubt should bind me 

Please stir my heart 
Take me back to the fire 
And bring to me recollections of joy 
And renew my first desire 

If pains and trials come to me 
And I cannot stand strong 
If fools adjust my theories 
To believe your truth is wrong 

Please stir my heart 
Take me back to the fire 
And bring to me recollections of joy 
And renew my first desire 

I swear it will never happen to me 
But how I can I know 
For Peter swore the same to thee 
Oh, hear the cock crow 

Please stir my heart 
Take me back to the fire 
And bring to me recollections of joy 
And renew my first desire 

Sara Groves, Stir My Heart
(Listen to it here)

Comments

Cami said…
I love this Sara Groves song. And I love this anchoring our memories in joy. Love.
Thirty-six was big for me, very big. That closer to forty thing hit hard. But the second half of the thirties out-shone the first. It likely will for you, as well.
I will enjoy following along with your recollections of joy.
Cami said…
Happy Birthday, too!

Popular Posts