Sunday, September 15, 2013

the surrendered life

 If we hold tightly to anything given to us unwilling to allow it to be used as the Giver means it to be used we stunt the growth of the soul. What God gives us is not necessarily "ours" but only ours to offer back to him, ours to relinguish, ours to lose, ours to let go of, if we want to be our true selves. Many deaths must go into reaching our maturity in Christ, many letting goes. ― Elisabeth Elliot, Passion and Purity: Learning to Bring Your Love Life Under Christ's Control
Passion and Purity remained for many years on my nightstand along with Shadow of the Almighty. These were early formative books for me. (I wonder now whether I will give my daughters Passion and Purity to read- I'm not sure anymore about a "right way to find your mate." I suppose I would need to read it again, it has been many years since I last read it.)

The story of Jim and Elisabeth Elliot and especially the autobiography of Jim through his journals was a clear and powerful message of what following Christ truly means- the surrendered life. I wonder if the concept of full surrender is slipping away in our age of self preservation. I need to be reminded of this often.

No comments: