Monday, October 28, 2013

Soup, 10.28


This week we celebrated a birthday, my in-laws visited, it snowed- what?, and we spent a day at my parents' celebrating birthdays. This week there is another birthday, and a party, and Halloween. Sugar, yes, wow. 

Every year this happens- I feel this nice sense of relief after one birthday has been celebrated, and then I remember I need to come up with Halloween costumes. And then I remember I still have one more birthday to pull off, and one more birthday party, and everyone is sick of birthday cake . . . It is my middle child and oh, I won't let her birthday feel anti-climactic I will not. So here's to the second half of Birthday Week.



Books:

Some Things That Stay by Cleveland author Sarah Willis
Set in the 1950's a young girl is the daughter of an artist father and eccentric mother, who move the family every year so her father can find new landscapes to paint. When she is fifteen they move to rural New York and her mother comes down with tuberculosis. Meanwhile Tamara is growing up and confronting issues of sex, religion, and place. It is a moving, emotional story and had me rooting for Tamara and her family. I loved the voice of the narrator, who manages to be both so simple and adolescent and so wise.

He's Gone by Deb Colleti
Deb Keller wakes up one Sunday morning to find her husband is gone. He remains missing and as she continues to search for him the story of their marriage is unraveled and she is forced to confront the loss and mistakes they each have made. The story itself may be overdone, but I enjoyed the author's voice and I felt the subject of adultery and remarriage told a very authentic and just lesson on the complexities of marriage and remarriage.



Good Links:

Conversation Matters: RZIM
The conversation matters—even conversation that questions and argues—for God values communion. Indeed, Abraham and Moses, Job, the psalmists, and the prophets all provide us with rich and engaging narratives of authentic, challenging, questioning, and even argumentative conversation with God.

Christian, Not Conservative: The American Conservative an interview with Marilynne Robinson (love her! love this!)
Our idea of what a human being is has grown oppressively small and dull,” she continues in When I Was a Child, and proposes an alternative anthropology: “What if we were to say that human beings are created in the image of God?”
Calvin writes in the Institutes that man’s creation in the image of God establishes a duty of unlimited love: “The image of God, by which he is recommended to you,” he writes, “deserves your surrender of yourself and all that you possess.” The social consequences, Robinson believes, are clear: an “unqualified requirement of generosity” that is repeated again and again in the Christian tradition: in Deuteronomy, the Gospel, Calvin, and Jonathan Edwards.

Look Inside a Chicken Nugget: The Atlantic . .. and that eliminates this option.

8 Things I've learned about education in my 8 years of motherhood: Simple Homeschool
*especially liked #5 & 6


. . . and that is last week's soup, reheated, on a Monday.


No comments: