things that wait in the air


January is our bravest month
stir, knead, kindle, brew
head down
start again

January I'll believe anything-
if you wait long enough
(dough rising maple syrup
resurrection
-what are the chances?)
there, you see
January
my cactus blossoms

Books stack waiting
there is nowhere to be

I want to live cheaply on lentils and rice
things that deepen
affection and
prayer

memory too
and color


I want to write novels
why?
who knows
blame the cactus


In January I wake
when the sky is black
turn the hip  listen
was there snow fall?
you will know by the hush
that waits in the air
this is the sound you are
paying for

I like secrets especially
hidden in the eyes
almost smiles
surprises
like snow
like things that wait in the air
to be born
hush
art
faith
imagine-
cactus blossoms

(photo courtesty of daughter who did not read this poem)

Comments

Tana said…
Amazing words, Jess! So good . . . Thank you for sharing.

Popular Posts